Cardiac Ablation to treat Vtach, but still experiencing heart palpitations / shortness of breath

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, my name is Sylvia and I am a 37 year old female. I've tried scouring the internet for the past couple of months looking for any information related to my condition, but usually come up empty handed and it's very frustrating. 

I'm not exactly sure when my VT started as I ignored it for a while thinking it was my anemia. I seen the doctor in November and the initial tests were all normal. My doctor suggested wearing an event monitor for 48 hours, which I did and that is how they discovered the VT. They ended up admitting me the following day where they ran many tests [MRI, ECG, Stress tests, etc.]. They ended up suggesting a cardiac ablation and I had the procedure done on December 19, 2017. While the EP was doing the procedure, she ended up puncturing my heart and i experienced epicardial effusion. After the surgery (which the EP said was successful), they couldn't control my heart rate. I was in ICU for about 4 days after the procedure. Finally, I was released on Christmas Eve and I returned home taking Metropolol (50 mg). 

I saw the doctor again in February and she lowered my dosage to 25 mg. The problem is that I still feel like I am having symptoms. My resting heart rate will  68 and when I stand or walk it jumps up to over 100. When i'm walking I will still also feel short of breath. When I told the doctor this, she thought it might be because of my anemia, but I am still worried because I've been taking the iron for a few weeks and noticed no positive changes. It has now been approximately 12 weeks since my surgery and I am just nervous about the success of my surgery. Has anyone still had heart palpitations and / or shortness of breath this far after the procedure? I don't see my doctor again until May and I'm just nervous and debating on whether I should schedule a sooner appointment. I've read on numerous message boards that it takes up to 6 months for the heart to heal...but it's sooo nerve wracking! 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It took my heart to heal 3 1/2 months. Had shortness of breath, very tired and my heart rate still goes up from 80’s to 109’s when I walk across the room but immediately goes back down. I’ve asked the doctors why and they don’t have a clue. That started after the ablation. 
    • Posted

That makes me feel better. I'm hoping that's the case for me, too. The EP said that the procedure was successful, but I got really scared after they punctured my heart then couldn't control the heart rate. Your situation sounds really similar to mine..as soon as I get up and start walking, the rate goes up. If I walk more  (less than a block) then i start getting shortness of breath, too. It makes me scared to walk more because I'm scare of what could happen. So your heart still does that even now? How long has it been since your ablation?

• Posted

I know how you feel I had palps and fast heart rate started metoprolol went away 10 years later med stopped working was diagnosed with svt had ablation last June Dr said it was successful heart rate was higher after and still palps and I still have them and my heart shoots up to 130 just sitting there all he says is my heart is in rhythm wants me to take bisopril still taking metoprolol don't want to take the other tried other stuff made me worse tried higher dose of metoprolol made me worse and bisopril is stronger don't want to chance it not sure if it was just from the svt or not still think I have it since my heart dose the same thing all day but he did heart study nothing came out but it don't always come out so I feel like I can't breath alot way better then what I was though but still not myself

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that! Did he say if he thinks another ablation might help it? I'm still taking the 25 mg of Metopolol but I I want to be OFF medicine. That was the whole reason I did the ablation because I thought it would stop me from having to take anything at all. I'm hoping my heart is still just in the healing process and will eventually calm itself down. It's so stressful, though!  Were you taking the Metopolol the whole 10 years after your ablation?

• Posted

Biggest thing I can say is limit the amount of anxiety and stress in your life. This can be as simply as stressing yourself out about little things!!! Stress alone can bring on palpitations and you’d tressing about your situation isn’t helping. Of course keep your doctor up to date and be your own advocate but being stress free is huge 
    • Posted

Yeah, I keep saying I'm going to do just that...but then I can't. I want to, but it's just hard to stop thinking about it because I get scared. I need to find ways to distract myself! lol

I don't get the palpitations if I'm sitting around or doing small stuff...but as soon as I start walking the heart just goes fast. I started wearing a FitBit to monitor my heart rate and so I just keep staring at it all the time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.