Cardio Memo

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi after various tests my consultant thinks I may have paroxysmal AF.  It comes on for no reason, stays on and off for a week or so then goes.  I think it is food related as it nearly always happens in the evening, I have GERD and my cardio said there is a definite relationship between AF and food.  Following several ECG, stress test and 24 hour monitor they caught a slight change in rhythm, but nothing of any significance. My main symptoms are dull ache central chest between breasts, (I am 58 and female) and pain up left side of breast. I can feel heart racing and fluttering and then usually a thud, it can go from 72 bpm to 108 bpm just sitting still.  Yesterday I was given a cardio memo and could not believe it when it happened twice last night, so I recorded this and sent it down the telephone as requested.  Now my real question is, what happens if they can see something on the ECG that is produced.  Would they call me? or just leave it until the month is up, I may not have anymore.  I should have asked this question but they were so busy and I do not want to call them to ask.  Anyone had any experience of a cardio memo please. 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Have you looked at vagal (Vagus) nerve and AF. Bloating/GERD  can stimulate it and start an AF episode. Doctors are only now starting to believe it. 
    • Posted

Hi, I do think it is my vagus nerve and having this test will confirm that it is nothing sinister. I have been put on a blood thinner for a DVT and until this test confirms they are not heart related I am not going to be able to come off them, I have seen lots of messages from you regarding GERD so know you understand how awful it is,  Take care  
  • Posted

Have had a recorder in my chest for 18 months. Have only been contacted when I failed to do my weekly 'download' (as I'm part of a research trial). But I had a few issues several weeks ago where I was unsure if I should go The the A &E Dept or not. Instead, I did a download and contacted my Electrophysiologist. They looked at my data and explained what was going on with me. They have told that if I was to go into AF, and didn't realise it (which happens in my case) that I'd get a phone call from them. I suspect they'd only be giving you a call if they felt it was necessary. When I go in for my quarterly check--ups, they tell me about any minor things that have happened.

Hope this is of some help?

• Posted

Thanks Simon that is reassuring, I have had 3 this week and no calls so it does sort of confirm my suspicion it is related to food and wind etc. I hopefully will get some answers in a month or so when I give it back.
  • Posted

Hi, I also have GERD & believe this & my AF go hand in hand. Whether it be certain food types or going to long between meals I usually expect an onset of AF, Ive now reduced my meal quantities & try eating at regular intervals & this certainly helps. Some gp's I see say there's no connection others I see say there is,very frustrating at times. 

Personally I've found any results from my cardiologist or any hospital results go to my gp then my gp practice contact me for an appointment. There have been many occasions though when I have contacted the departments secretary to chase up, either for a call back or to speed up results to gp.

I totally understand you don't want to call as there busy, but your health is very important & any waiting or wondering will cause unwanted anxiety or worry, so if it was me give them a call atleast you will know,& honestly they won't mind at all. Take care & all the very best, dean.

• Posted

Yes, I understand the frustration I am lucky that my cardio does agree that food and AF are related which is why he wants me to have this test to prove it is not my actual heart.  I have not heard anything after the 3 recordings I sent through but if I have a really bad one, I will call.  Thanks
  • Posted

Hi youngatheart1,

?My personal experience is that it is almost something you eat which is upsetting/inflaming or aggravating the vagal nerve. It is not so much what you eat as the actual ingredients of your food, the size of portions and timing. You may find, gluten, wheat and/or oats can be a cause. Drinks too, tea or coffee or alcohol can upset the vagal nerve. The vagal nerve is like an information superhighway between the heart, digestive system and the brain. You could also consider added sugar reduction and look at vegetables, particularly, peas and long green beans (runner beans).

?I've been doing this following advice from a nutritionist over several years now and I've had no onset of AF now since April 2015.

?Suggest you go online and research vagal (or some call it vagus) nerve - some beastie.

John

• Posted

Hi, I have the AF turns every week or so, not every often but nearly always after food, funny you should mention sugar because every now and then I will have a really thick yoghurt with the fruit in the bottom and it seems worse after that, I will see if it happens again and if so cut them out.  I would happily give up certain foods to stop these awful feelings.   Thanks
    • Posted

Have you tried  Probiotic yogurts instead as they are good for digestion.
    • Posted

Hi again,

?Now yoghurt is the one thing I love but had to abandon. That said, and picking up on Dereks suggestion of Probiotic yoghurt - I never tried it, wasn't aware you could get it.

?When I identified the onset of my AF with food I developed a range of symptoms of a digestive nature. these were massive, massive bloating and very painful too. also burping, loud and very antisocial intestinal gurgling and diahorrea. Not all at the same time but any could occur at random, the most common and most severe was bloating which could occur within 2 hours of eating and up to 8 hours after eating., diahorrea was also a regular feature. These two were the ones that seemed to impact on me worst. I might add that the first thing the nutritionist did was put me on a course of probiotics to stabilise my gut flora. So Dereks suggestion may have some merit. 

?John

• Posted

Another thing you could consider is Kefir similar to yogurt but a drink. Waitrose, Ocado and some supermarkets have it as will Health Food Shops. If you Google it you will also find that you can make your own. We used to make our own yogurt but better ones came on the market over the years.
    • Posted

Hi, yes I have and I have taken probiotics in tablet form, but as I also have IBS they make my stomach uncomfortable after a while so stopped, will give them another go.  I did try kefir and liked that so will get some more. Thanks
    • Posted

I am glad I posted now, I thought I was going mad saying that yoghurt upsets me, but it does.  I also have the bloating, wind etc. and my GP just said IBS, I am beginning to think that food is playing a bigger part in my problems than I realise.  I get the opposite, I get constipated which causes even more gas.  Lovely subject but necessary to talk about some times.  Take care
    • Posted

I like Kefir but my wife doesn't. I wonder how like the original it actually is. A journalist was writing about how she makes her own and has to get a friend to look after her fermentation as well as her dog when on holiday.

• Posted

Another form of probiotic ! It has been around for many years but is now being more widely done for IBS and now by the NHs !

Fecal bacteriotherapy, also known as fecal transfusion, fecal transplant, stool transplant, or human probiotic infusion (HPI), is a medical treatment for patients with pseudomembranous colitis (caused by Clostridium difficile), or ulcerative colitis which involves restoration of colon homeostasis by reintroducing normal bacterial flora from stool obtained from a healthy donor

• Posted

I have watched various programmes about that and to be honest having suffered with IBS all my life would consider it, I did not know it was on NHS list though, so will be having a word with my GP. I also have diverticular so may help with that.   

?I have only tried the strawberry kefir from Sainsbury's and found it quite nice.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.