Cardiologist appointment AF

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with AF last april. I am now thankfully going to see a cardiologist in a few weeks, my first time as I have always been seen by a gp. I have so many questions that I want to ask them. But I would really appreciate any help with questions you may feel would be of help to me please as I really want to use this appointment to its fullest potential.

?I am 43, Male 6ft & 15st don't class myself as over weight but would like to loose a few pounds. Up until last yr I was very active healthy & fit. Post AF diagnosis I lost my confidence, my energy & any motivation whatsoever. I started to get anxiety attacks that I am currently getting under control now, the odd one now & then but much better.

?Originally on bisoloprolol but due to this not agreeing with me at all, (extreme fatique, dizziness, sense of skin feeling sunburned) was changed to Sotalol 40mg twice per day, which is a huge improvement on the previous medication. I also take Rivaroxaban each day for my blood thinner, & losartan potassium for high blood pressure.

?Ive had high blood pressure for a few years, started as medicated for couple of years but then gp took me off them for a year as said I didn't need to be on them then? then monitored on/off for 12mths as on the border as my gp would say. But then with my anxiety kicking in my blood pressure stayed around 155/110 going much higher with an anxiety attack. Now my blood pressure medicated is on average 127/85.

?My resting heart rate is between 50-54, sometimes lower. Before my AF, it was still lower than ideal at about 58.

?Although much better, I still get AF at times (can go weeks without AF) usually lasts for about half hour then goes. The past wk & half ago I was in AF each day for 7 days in a row, shortest not long at all, the longest almost 8hrs, I had the funeral of my aunt so I put this down to this emotional time but isn't this what the medication is for, this was my worst time with AF, as usually it either just goes on its own or if I do breathing techniques to revert back to normal.

?I also have obvious links to AF & the vagal nerve which I have self taught what not to eat, but trying to explain this to my gp is almost impossible as keeps telling me cant cause AF, very frustrating as I know & read from others who also have the same.

?Ive been light headed on/ff for about 12mths, can go couple weeks with nothing then lightheaded for days at a time, my gp not concerned with this though. At first I thought this maybe related to my heart rate but I haven't found a connection as yet, as when I check my rate is still normal, for me.

?I read that AF cant be cured, but then read people who have ablations, cardioversions who say it worked, is this not classed as cured? I appreciate as with anything in life conditions/diseases can come back whether it be due to illness,age, lifestyle etc... but the positive in me sees this as cured, for now atleast rather than think its just a waiting game till the next time.

?Are there higher success rates for any procedure in particular or is it purely on a personal level.

?I see myself as still young,& I am so desperate to get myself back to the old me who was very confident, outgoing with hopes & dreams for me & my family.

?Thankyou for taking the time to read this, your help means a lot to me, thankyou.

?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Dean, My reply to you is to try and stay positive, AF is very common and if controlled well with medication there is no reason why you can't lead an ordinary active life. I know it's difficult coming to terms with it all and we have all looked for the cause without any success, just seams to be 'one of those things' so management is the way forward. Self help can eliminate some of the symptoms such as not overeating, keep alcohol to a minimum, only drink decaf coffee and tea, no spicy food,  cut right down on wheat products and get plenty of fresh air and exercise, and of course try not to stress ( which I know is not easy). I have permanent AF and prior to diagnosis was a very active person (71 year old), once the meds were sorted I was very determined to still live life to the full and it hasn't stopped me doing anything I want such as holidays abroad and cruises. Hope you get on OK

• Posted

Hi sue, absolutely!!! at first I did let this take over my entire life, I lost confidence I didn't want to go out, everytime I felt something strange I feared for the worse. Its scary how anxiety can quickly take control. But with incredible support from my wife & family I am in a far better place mentally.

?Ive changed eating habits to help, I was recommended to have reduce alcohol but as I wasn't really a big drinker anyway  ive just totally stopped (although I have had the urge just lately to have an occasional guiness) be nice to add a bit of normality again or am I just trying to convince myself its ok to have a drink, lol.

?Ive cut out all coffee, that was my biggest problem, I didn't realise how much coffee I was drinking until it was bought to my attention. All I drink now is, Tea, camomile tea, mint & ginger tea plus about 8pints of water each day.

?I have an incredibly stressful job, wish I could look elsewhere but after being there 26yrs, I feel I may cause more stress trying to start again somewhere.

?Thankyou for your reply I very much appreciate you taking the time to help me.

• Posted

When someone says the ablation 'worked' what is meant is that it has put  afib into remission -- there is no cure for afib once you have it.  The most you can hope for is a remission -- which can last for months or even years -- and that would allow you to get off a lot of the negative side-affect heart meds with the possible exception of a blood thinner, depending on your risk for a stroke.  If the first ablation is only 20% effective, then that 20% success goes towards your next one -- so don't despair..  My first once was not successful and was repeated 9 months later, and I have been in remission for over a year-- Good luck!!

• Posted

@Suzanne: When someone says the ablation 'worked' what is meant is that it has put  afib into remission -- there is no cure for afib once you have it.  The most you can hope for is a remission -

----------------------------

So when someone has an ablation and ten years later they are in remission and not cured? Who says except a crystal ball! I have a friend who had afib when he was 30 years old. Forty years later he hasn't had a second episode. Is he in remission?

These are just words being thrown around. Afib can be anything from a once in lifetime event to a permanent condition. Generalization isn't always helpful.

Jim

• Posted

I’ve been told remission by EPs and cardio docs so I don’t think it’s a generalization but , of course, u r entitled to your own opinion. I would love nothing better than to be ‘cured’ believe me. 
    • Posted

Hi Suzanne, right ok thankyou. Even if it is many years later its not seen as a cure, thankyou for clearing that up for me. As I'm only still young'ish I was hoping there maybe a more positive outcome, so really all that is happening is the condition being put on hold for however long it returns.

May I ask please, with what ive read & including myself some AF sufferers develop AF due to stress/ high blood pressure etc... that isn't related to heart disease or failure and that the heart can be structurely sound. If stress is reduced to a manageable limit & blood pressure is medicated to a safer reading & with the knowledge of now knowing about AF, stress health diet lifestyle changes etc... would all this be a positive step going forward after having an ablation to holding off the return of AF for as long as possible, or is it a case once you've had AF its always there in the background?

Thankyou for you reply.

• Posted

I would think since stress and high blood pressure can be Afib triggers, then lowering your blood pressure and stress could do nothing but help to reduce your afib episodes.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.