Cardiologist suggesting Bisoprolol but I'm reluctant to take it, any other options ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, I've recently been told I have paroxysmal tachycardia and I'm 31 weeks pregnant. I've had the symptoms for years but they have become more frequent over the last few years since having my first child. Now I'm expecting my second child. I don't like the symptoms, they worry me and I feel unwell with the anxiety and during the episodes. But my cardio has suggested a beta blocker and I am not very keen on taking medicines generally, let alone long term. I am afraid of the side effects, of reacting badly to it and I have low blood pressure usually so I am unsure about taking something that is typically used to treat high blood pressure. Has anyone found any alternative solutions to managing this sort of diagnosis? And should I be worried about my long term health with this diagnosis? As a young Mum I am so scared for anything to happen to me, and all I want is to be strong for my children and be able to run around after them and not worry about these episodes. I am very confused about what to do. I also wont take anything during my pregnancy in case of risks to my baby, so this would be for after the birth. Thanks for listening.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I was on biso when I started having tachycardia 4 years ago. I took 5 mg in the beginning. Though I was also taking a bp med at the same time.

But when I started to take the biso, my heart rate dropped. And also my blood pressure. I felt like the walking dead with the fatigue biso gave me. I could hardly get off the sofa. And my hands and feet were freezing.

I was told to just stop it 5 days prior to my first attempted ablation. I asked if just stopping was okay, and was told it was just fine.

WELL, it was NOT just fine.

I went through terrible withdrawals. But at the time, I did not realize it was withdrawals. I thought it was anxiety, and was put on a benzo.

BIG MISTAKE!!!! *was on them for 18 months, and then had to take 9 months to slowly wean off. I was going through withdrawals for atleast a year after stopping.

If I had realized it was withdrawals from the biso, I would never have started the benzo.

Once coming off the benzo, my EP would try a second attempt to ablation(That is a whole different story)

He did not want any benzo in my system for fear he could not trigger me.

Anyways, I made the decision not to ever go back on biso. I told my EP, I would rather have episodes than take that stuff.

I went 3 1/2 years not medicated for my tachy, but my episodes have become to often. I get them now every 3 days.Since Feb 2016, I have had 65 episodes.

This week, I decided to try a calcium channel blocker. I stopped my bp med, and started taking the channel blocker.So far , so good. Today I have passed my 3 day schedule. To early to tell, but I am optimistic.

Because you are pregnant, I totally understand your concerns about taking it. I guess it would depend on how high your episodes go and for how long, not to mention the safety of your baby.

My episodes are from 15 minutes to 6 hours.

Keep us posted how you make out

• Posted

I stopped taking Bisoprolol because I didn't need it. I was surprised that I had withdrawal symptoms that lasted several days. How can it be addictive? I have no clue.

• Posted

These are exactly the symptoms i am afraid of. A year ago my GP put me on antidepressants for anxiety and i felt the worst i have ever felt and ended up in A&E. Now i am too afraid to take any medicine as i need to be able to look after my children and I cant function on any less energy!

• Posted

thank you for your reply. yes i am worried about these side effects as i dont respond well to medication and i cant afford to be unable to look after my daughter.

• Posted

I didn't crave the drug. I was shaking and nervous for three days. I have never had withdrawal from anything before I stopped taking it. I did an internet search and found where others had withdrawal symptoms like I experienced. It was hard to believe being addicted to a beta blocker.

• Posted

I would look into potassium and magnesium supplements. Both have done me well having SVT episodes since 2001. Go ahead and google it. Good Luck.

• Posted

thank you. how did you establish which ones and the amount to take?

• Posted

I tried bananas but couldn't tolerate them for potassium them. I take 250 mg magnesium per day. I opted out for the potassium. The magnesium helped a lot. I weight 163 lbs.

• Posted

Congratulations on your pregnancy, Anna. I'll add a couple thoughts to the advice you've received. I'll assume that your diagnosis is equivalent to SVT, since paroxysmal atrial tachycardia was my diagnosis before the SVT era.

Please consider asking your health care people if your heart is otherwise quite healthy. If so, it wouldn't surprise me if you were also told that you would likely do well, from that standpoint, during pregnancy without taking a drug or drugs for your SVT.

I deeply understand the anxiety that so often is a big part of the SVT package. I've struggled with that for 50+ years. What has helped me most of all with that mess is going 2.5 years after ablation with no SVT. Maybe something like that can eventually be done for you. Please take the best of care or yourself and baby. I wish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.