Cardiophobia/Health Anxiety

Posted , 30 users are following.

Hello. So I'm really embarrassed about this so I'm just going to go ahead and jump into it. Back in February My boyfriend at the time was coming home from being in Japan for a year. We planned a road trip to Austin & he wanted to smoke marijuana. I'm not a smoker... haven't smoked in years because I just don't have any interest for it, but because I wanted to have fun I agreed. The night before I had some really bad leg cramps & took 10 mg of generic flexeril. They were prescribed to me from when I had a car accident. By no means did I intentionally want to mix drugs. Had I remembered that I took the pill I wouldn't have smoked. So we left that morning & we proceeded to smoke. I watched him roll it up & I didn't look weird or having a weird smell. And it wasn't broken down already. So we smoked it. I only took a few hits & let him have it. I'm not a big smoker. In the beginning I felt normal... I just felt really high. But then I felt stuck... like I was actually sleep but I was aware of everything around me. At one point it felt like I couldn't move. It felt like time was extremely slow. We were going at 80 mph but it felt like we were going 10. I kept looking out the window & then out of the speedometer. It sounded as if the music was really slow (but in reality the song is slow. Ty Dolla $ign - When I See You) Then I felt my heart pounding in my chest but it didn't feel like it was racing, it felt slow & my breathing did too. I started freaking out in my mind thinking that I was dying & that the weed was laced. All I could think about was my daughter & what would happened to her if I left this earth. I remember hitting him & saying that the weed was laced. He told me it wasn't & that I was just really stoned. He asked me if I wanted him to take me to the hospital but I said no because I didn't want to get in trouble. Even though I should have went. He pulled over we got out, we walked around, I breathed in some fresh air, he gave me some water & I was fine. We got back in the car & headed to Austin. I felt normal but I got into the habit of checking my heart rate. Then a few weeks passed & we visited his mom in Dallas. We went to the gym one day & I had to stop working out because I noticed my heart rate jumped up to 123 bpm within a few minutes of brisk walking on a treadmill. My bf said it was normal but I didn't buy it. Later on that night after being in the mall for most of the day I got really bad chest pains. I went to the ER. They did a EKG & chest X-ray & it all came back normal. They just sent me home with Motrin. I was fine for another few weeks. Then the day he left I had another episode in the car... same thing only I wasn't high & it didn't feel like we were moving slow, but the music sounded slow but once again the music was slow in real life. Drake - Shut It Down. I checked my HR and it was at 171 bpm. Went to the ER. They did an EKG, chest X-ray, blood work, and urine test. All came back fine, they chucked it up to anxiety. But from then on I've been having symptoms EVERYDAY! Chest pains, heart palps, rapid heartbeat, headaches, dizziness, blurry vision, you name it I had it! I starting googling... I thought I had POTS. I would notice that my heart rate would jump up when I stood up, took a shower, did chores around the house. I saw a cardiologist... had a holter monitor, stress test, echocardiogram, blood test, ANA test, heart enzyme test, and a tilt table test. At first my doc thought it was SVT and put me on a beta blocker which helped a little but not much. All of my test came back normal besides fast heart rate during the stress test. During the tilt table test I fainted but the doctor said I do not have POTS. I check my heart rate constantly throughout the day, going anywhere is a struggle for me because I'm scared something will happen, I don't exercise, and I avoid places that require lots of walking, I don't go out with friends, and I haven't had sex. It's ruining my life! For the past few months I've been dealing with this certain things have gotten better. I keep thinking that something is seriously wrong with me despite my cardiologist saying that my heart is perfectly fine & that I don't even need the beta blockers. Is this anxiety or did I really mess up something when I took the flexeril & smoked the next morning?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is definitely anxiety and you have flipped a,switch in your brain and you need to reprogram it.

There are some good tips in a book called the 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques.

Each time you panic you body makes cortisol and prepares for fight or flight. Exercise helps burn off cortisol. You need to also have internal conversations with yourself and tell yourself thInga like, nothing is wrong with my heart, stop stop etc.

You can also use distractions that cause your,mind to focus on things other than your symptoms. Singing, tv, etc. Also, I have heard putting ice chips under tongue distracts your mind.

Look up CBT for other techniques.

Best if luck xx

• Posted

Thank you for replying. So you don't think I caused my body any damage?

• Posted

Hello, I too have health anxiety and it is mainly centered arnd my heart. I've been to the ER more times then I would like to admit (pretty sad when they recognize you). I've had numerous ekgs, labs, a stress test, echocardiogram, heart monitor, holter monitor and seen a regular cardiologist and cardiologist that deals with heart rhythm probs. The only thing that keeps me going is that I haven't went down yet. It's a vicious cycle and I hope you start feeling better soon.

• Edited

Dear Simoneg

I have the same symptoms as you (always focused on my HR, localized chest pains, left arm mild pains). I would freak out about dying and leaving my wife and kids. I got a EKG, blood work, echo-stress test and they all came back fine. From my experience, given that you have done all the required cardiac tests, you clearly have a severe case of anxiety. You need to fight this by yourself. One way to do it is to start running or whatever cardio you do ( ask your doctor before you start) as this helps in building confidence. Fight this and trust me, you will come out a stronger person. Stay strong and good luck

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are going through this. I am going through the same thing. I can't do laundry or vacuum cause it makes my heart rate shoot up. I constantly check my heart rate. Constantly think I am having a heart attack. I have been to the ER more times than I care to admit. I even called the squad. All my heart work up have back normal. All of it. I just had a holter monitor done; waiting on those results. I'm super scared I'm dying of a heart attack and that I need to go to the hospital. It's horrible. I can't do anything with my boys cause I'm scared of my heart rate getting too high and causing a heart attack. I hate this. Right now I have a cold and I can't breathe I feel like so it's making my chest hurt and I'm convinced I'm having a heart attack. Convinced. I hate this and wish there was a way to fix it.

• Posted

Hi Kristen i have just come across your response and i am intrigued to see how you are doing now 3 years on. Everything you said is exactly me right now and i would love to know how you managed to cope with this.

• Posted

hi lewis same with me now.Hope you have deal with it.I would appreciate any advice you would give me

• Posted

I have health anxiety centered on my heart as well. my father was only 49 when he required a quadruple bypass surgery in order to prevent an impending heart attack.  I take much, much better care of myself than he did since my late 20s, now in my late 30s.  cholesterol below 200, ldl in near optimal range, good hdl and triglycerides, etc.  i have hypertension, which i am on meds for, but i get heart attack symptoms very, very frequently.  they seem to be tied to my GI system, as i constantly belch, and when i do, the symptoms alleviate temporarily.  i get some chest pain, but mainly jaw and arm pain, and hot flashy feelings with some sweating, but again, it goes away fairly quickly.  i have had 7 ekgs in the last 4 years, 2 in the last 6 weeks, and a stress test last year.  all totally fine and normal. resting heart rate is good, when i do any sort of exercise, the rate comes down just as it ought to. wanted another stress test this past week, but my cardiologist saw my ekg results and said  "everything on this one is exactly the same as all of the others, including the stress test.  we don't need to put you on the treadmill".  i had wanted to go on it, just to feel better about the entire thing, but he must have used some sort of mind control, b/c i just accepted it as alright.  the symptoms get worse with exercise, but that is probably due to the fact that i am standing up, the gas rises, smashes my diapahragm into the vagus nerve, and voila, symptoms.  there is actually a name ofr this, its called Roemheld Syndrome.  it is scary as all get out when you are walking around and just have to push thru these scary symptoms all day long.  thankfully i am getting an endoscopy done soon and hopefully that can put me on a path to ending this crap b/c i feel like a prisoner in my own body.

• Posted

Everything you said is me.... I’m now 39 and I’ve been dealing with this since I was 26. When I was 26 I ran up a flight of stairs and almost fell over. Since that time I’ve had 5 EKGs, 3 stress tests, 2 Holter monitors, a calcium score test and countless blood work all of which turned out great... however I’ve convinced myself they’re missing something. I got it under control for a few years then had kids. Now it’s worse than ever. My dr recently prescribed me lexapro which I’m terrified to take and haven’t yet. I used to workout 5 Days a week and now I dread it. I dread any kind of heart elevating activity such as hills and stairs even dancing with my kids. It’s absolutely draining. All of this has spun me into a deep depression. I keep telling myself that I’d be dead by now if there really was anything wrong with me but it doesn’t matter the dread is still there. I know you posted this 6 months ago but I just wanted to thank you for showing me I’m not the only one who goes thru this. 
    • Posted

Hi rich, hope your doing well as this was 8months ago, a little about me well 23months ago I never even thought of my heart in any way shape or form, I had my 3rd daughter and it was a draining labour I had this fear and hated the pain I just couldn’t cope after the birth I was scared of standing also getting an infection even worrying about my daughter stopping breathing, I came home and started to feel better I was on blood thinner injections for 12 days and was far to active as within days I cleaning lifting heavy things my posture was terrible then 3 weeks after she was born she ended up in hospital for a week being treated for meningitis turned out to be flu, i was on auto pilot because I felt fine I was over doing it until I started getting shooting pains in my chest I was like ooooo that didn’t feel great carried on etc (I stopped smoking 2 years prior) don’t really drink but I’m over weight but I’m very active, any way this kept getting worse and 7 weeks after her birth I was awaken by a text from my friends husband she’s in hospital and not going to make it on arrival I got the info etc and was told she had 7 cardiac arrest (there is a reason why she had it but I forget) I was still getting these shooting pains and pains at the time sadly my friend passed away she had a healthy heart and it was something to do with her latest operation etc, so hearing the word cardiac arrest and then having these pains were starting to play on my mind I ended up having the ambulance out 2 me and then finally a dr at the hospital finally listened to me I said I’d never had these pains before nor had all these responsibilities of a house with 3 children as lived with parents prior, so soon listening to me crying my eyes out all my tests come back normal and she said it was “costcohondritis” chest wall pain basically over use of your arms pull your chest muscles over the weeks I kept doing the same and not resting after giving birth but by this time without me knowing the anxiety had set in, I was put on naproxen which helped so if it was my heart the pains would of stayed but they started to go slowly, but the anxiety has well and truly settled in my head over my heart, I started smoking in November 2017 again and quit just 2 weeks ago i was doing it due to stress glad iv quit as I really didn’t need to, but these last 2 weeks I have been having heart palpatitions and skipped beats which frighten me so much iv had a good few months and now I feel like iv gone back to 10minths ago were I was anxious mess I was scared to move because my heart rate would go up, I’m fixated On my heart rate again and won’t leave without my Fitbit, iv had CBT and I was fine for awhile, had no chest symptoms then I have one skipped beat or a weird sensation and bang I’m bang to we’re I was and no matter how many times I try to reassure myself it doesn’t work at all, I feel lost and scared again and my mind is obsessed with my heart, it’s drainging and scary, I hope your okay, just want you to know i know how you feel
    • Posted

Hi Melissa! I can’t believe that was 8 months ago already... well I’ve been on lexapro for the last 7 months and I gotta say... I feel so much better! Way more relaxed more easy going. I was scared lexapro was going to change me but it was anxiety that was changing me. Lexapro helps me be me. I’m sure it’s not for everyone... I’m sure you’ve heard horrible stories but it really helped me. It’s not a magic drug, you have to change some other things to but I’m now working out again, not thinking about stairs or hills.. I just go up them... riding bikes with my kids etc. it’s something I’d definitely talk to your doctor about and the first month is rough but worth it... btw... I could never wear a fit bit... it always freaked me out! Hopefully this helps!
    • Posted

hi melissa I have had the same symptoms and I wanted to know how are you doing?

• Posted

Hello everyone, I felt like I was alone but since googling cardiophobia I've found alot of people suffering from the same thing. Since this original post was 2 years ago I would really like to know if any of you have found a solution to this problem. Like all of you I have dread everyday that I will die of a heart attack and like all of you I have had numerous ECG's, blood tests, and echo exams all have come back fine. I have been to the emergency room 4 times all with the same issue and it's becoming so terrible. Whenever I go I have to Google where the nearest hospital is just in case I have to go there. All of my family are refusing to take me to the hospital any more because each time the results are fine. This makes me more anxious. My doctor says my heart is fine and I have a panic disorder. Googling my symptoms was probably the worst thing I could do because this makes me feel more anxious. My family and friends don't understand because they say that the test results are fine but I'm so convinced there is something wrong with my heart and I will die. Like all of you I'm scared to do any excersises, I eat really healthy, I'm an ex smoker and 29 years old with no heart problems in my family. My doctor has signed me off work and everything is so difficult. Have any of you found a way to get over This? Thank you

• Posted

Hi Catherine, 

I’ve been dealing with the same exact symptoms/fear for the past month.  It all started one night when I got this mysterious sharp pain in the left side of my chest. It lasted maybe 10 seconds. I didn’t think much of it but that night when I went to bed, I started obsessively worrying about it, which started all of my symptoms. My chest began to hurt, heart palpitations, tight chest, shallow breathing, left arm was going numb.  I was scared to death to fall asleep for fear I wouldn’t wake up. I recognized this as an anxiety attack and knew it, but my mind had me convinced that I was dying.  

Since then, I’m terrified to fall asleep because I think that my heart will give out during the night. I’m still experiencing heart palpitations, tight chest, and am constantly checking my heart rate which is always normal but sometimes runs higher than MY normal. 

I went to my doctor and explained my symptoms. I had an EKG done which came back normal. I’ve recently stopped smoking so my doctor thinks it’s anxiety from this. Who knows. All I know is that I l’m DONE living with this anxiety. It’s absolutely horrible. I did ask my doctor to prescribe me Wellbutrin, which is an antidepressant. I was on it years ago for chronic depression and an eating disorder and this medicine stopped my obsessive thoughts and worry. I’m hoping it works this time. 

I downloaded an app called “Calm” that teaches you mindfulness and meditation. I use this whenever I’m feeling anxious or feel as though my heart is racing. It teaches you to listen to your body, acknowledge the feeling, then let it go. It also teaches you to focus on the present moment. It helps to calm me down and stop my racing heart. I also tell myself, out loud, that I’m fine and that there’s nothing wrong with me.  I especially do this at night in hopes of being able to peacefully fall asleep. It’s slowly getting better. 

The mind is so incredibly powerful. Only YOU have control over your mind. You need to be proactive in telling yourself and reassuring yourself that you’re fine. Your mind manifest the symptoms. You will never get better if you continue to convince yourself that you’re unwell. Trust me! I know it’s hard. So hard. But you’ve gotta try. Whenever you feel a symptom, acknowledge it, breathe, and let it go. 

I really hope your find relief from your anxiety. Thinking of you! 

• Posted

Thank you Laura for your reply. I've had a really awful weekend in regards to this, I spent 6 hours on Saturday sitting outside a hospital in case I had a heart attack, I was meant to go to my friends birthday dinner and was too frightened to leave the bench, eventually I left as a homeless man was harassing me but how crazy is This!!!! I actually feel like I'm loosing my mind and need to keep drawing it back in. I constantly need reassurance from the doctor that there is nothing wrong with my heart. Laura I hope that we are rid of this soon. My doctor has referred me to CBT which apparently really helps, ask your doctor if you can be referred too. I really hope you feel well soon Laura, I really feel so deeply for anyone who's going through this.

• Posted

Oh Catherine I’m so sad to hear how much you are suffering. At this point I think CBT is needed and would be so helpful because it’s clear that this is becoming overwhelming to you. Seeking mental health care is the best solution right now. You need support and someone to walk you through this. I know you feel as though you are going crazy. There’s been a handful of nights filled with me crying, feeling as though I was losing my mind and all control.  The medication I began taking 3 days ago is making my symptoms worse, so I have decided to stop taking it and instead lean on my faith. It’s been a solid month of me worrying about my heart, and guess what, I’m still here. The same for you. You are walking and breathing. You are alive. Your heart is working! Let it do it’s job. The heart is not perfect but it’s strong. So strong. Treat it well. Think positively. 

I’ll be thinking of you and praying for you as well! If you ever need to talk, I’m here! 💕

• Posted

Thank you so much Laura, that means alot to me. I'm here for you too. All my prayers go out to you and anyone else dealing with this. Hope you have a great day and not let anxiety beat you down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.