Cardiovascular Surgeon vs Cardiologist

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone. I am 53 YO male and I was diagnosed with an Aortic Aneurysm (4.9 cm)

It was initially discovered from a chest X-ray and my primary care sent me to a Cardiac Surgeon as a follow up.  He did a CT scan and here I am.

My concern is is a cardiovascular surgeon my best course?  I was thinking of also getting a cardiologist on board. Is that overkill or am I just throwing money away?

I'm also concerned because my cardiovascular surgeon is content checking on it (scans, etc) once a year but I have read others get it checked every 6 months. Which is also why I am thinking of getting a cardiologist. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanx!

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    Welcome Marshall,


    ?IMO cardiac surgeon's specialize in surgery and cardiologist are the ones who assist with medications to prevent growth if you don't need surgery at this time. I'm currently in watch and wait (praying I don't need surgery) with medications and monitoring my blood pressure, I would defiantly get a cardiologist on board since you're not at the size yet for surgery unless you have a bicuspid valve or a genetic disease like Marfan's syndrome. You’re in good hands here, keep us posted.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    You need to see a vascular surgeon. Vascular surgeons specialize in treatments of every kind of vascular problem except those of the heart (treated by cardiovascular surgeons) and the brain (treated by neurosurgeons).

    I'm in the UK and my AAA was found when it was only 3.1 cms in 2004 during other tests. I had annual scans until 2016 when it got to 4.1 cms and now have twice yearly scans. It is still regarded as small and surgery or stenting will not be considered until it is 5.5 cms. As I'm approaching 84 it will probably never get to that stage.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hello Marshall. I agree with buckpie that it would be good to see a cardiologist. It is not overkill. Until it is time for surgery the cardiologist will monitor you with meds (If necessary) and lifestyle questions. This person will also provide a second opinion. My aneurysm is 4.5 cm and I am being monitored with a scan or echocardiogram once a year by a cardiologist. You have found a good site here that offers support from others in the same situation.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Marshall. I'm in the UK so system different as money is not involved.

    Mine is the same measurement in the ascending aorta .

    I only see a cardiologist.

    He has me monitored by MRI every 6 months - though if the next MRI is 4.9 (as the last two have been) he says he would drop it to yearly. He doesn't even call it an aneurysm until it measures 5.0cm. Surgery would not be contemplated till 5.5cm.

    He advised me to go on beta blockers for blood pressure as he would like me to aim for BP to be kept under 120 systolic. which I now take. Your primary care doctor should be advising you on all the normal safeguards which are well documented online. I don't think you need an extra specialist at the moment your cardiovascular surgeon is doing all that can be done (monitoring the size) and I would prefer that my scans were seen by a surgeon! but I don't have that option till surgery is viable. Do you have asthma by the way?

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up