Care after a biopsy?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've just had my biopsy this afternoon and all the doctor said to me was 'keep it dry'.  A little difficult when you have to go to the loo!  It's beginning to feel sore, but not too bad.  I'd be really interested to hear what advice others have been given after their biopsy.  Or what they found most helpful.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

By the way.  I had it done at 3pm and, even though the doctor made sure it had stopped bleeding at the time, as soon as I sat down it's been bleeding a little.  Is this OK?

• Posted

It always bleeds a little afterward Cheetah.  That's why they advise wearing pads for a few days. 

?

• Posted

Thanks Hanny, you've reassured me.  I'm using pads.

• Posted

Wear loose clothing and don't worry the bleeding will stop

• Posted

Thank you Gillian.  When I go to the loo I'm using a spray bottle with water afterwards, then drying carefully with tissue.   I'm going to get some Epsom Salts tomorrow as I read that, added to the water, it is soothing.  I certianly don't want to run the risk of the wound becoming infected, so hope this all sounds OK.

• Posted

Yes keep it as clean as possible I just used water myself and patted dry
  • Posted

The injection to avoid you feeling the procedure would be waring off so you will feel sore.I found it bled quite a lot until the area started to clot and heal. There is nothing to be afraid of as you need to find out if there is LS. Since then I was told the area wasnt cancerous which is a relief and that it may be the start of LS. I had about twelve months trying various creams and attempts to cope with this without any let up. Recently I had the occasion to see the Dr over Acid Reflux. I was put on Omeprazole 20mg which for a week a tab twice a day then after a week one a day. Bingo my symptoms seem to be a lot better! I will have to see whether this will continue but the firey feeling and the uncomfortable imflamation has cooled. Maybe my body was producing too much acid I dont know but its worth finding out having a word with your Dr. All my life my diet contained acidity which may eventually effect the body and its balance of acid and alkerline resulting in what I have been experiencing.
    • Posted

Thank you Thea.  In fact I was diagnosed with Acid Reflux about 18 months ago.  I no longer take Omeprazole, just manage by watching my diet, but I found what you said very interesting.
    • Posted

It is interesting and I'm going to follow it up until it gives me answers. So Good Luck hope everything gets easier, I am convinced it's to do with to much acid which has to be more alkaline.

• Posted

Well this is interesting I have acid reflux to and take meds for it I've got to go see a dermatologist Monday I will mention about my acid reflux problem

• Posted

Loads of good advice above.  It it begins to throb and feel hot it might mean that there is a little infection - that happened to me but it wasn't a huge problem, just started a course of antibiotics and that did the trick and I then healed very well.

• Posted

Day three and it's just oozing slightly.  It feels 'scratchy' and slightly uncomfortable, but quite bearable.   I'd forgotten what stitches felt like there - the last ones being after childbirth 40 years ago!  As I said, the doctor just said to keep it dry, but I'm wondering if I could use a cream to soothe things a bit?  Have others used a cream or oil?  What type?  Or would that be more likely to introduce infection?

• Posted

I had my punch biopsy yesterday.  I am sore today.  Trying to take it easy.  I am using water to rinse after and patting dry.  No other special instructions either.  They said no baths for a few but can shower.  I have no stitches, they used silver nitrate to stop bleeding.  It's in a spot that is hard to not get bothered with walking, sitting and etc.  Keep us updated on how you feel.  Did they say you'd be good in 5 or 6 days?

• Posted

No, Amy, he didn't say anything about when things would be good, but I suppose 5 or 6 days sounds about right.  He also didn't say anything about baths or showers, but I have sat in the bath for a few minutes, just in plain, tepid water, and found it quite soothing.  Dried well afterwards.  Mine is towards the back, so sitting can be rather uncomfortable - prickly and rather itchy.

I hope that things gradually get better for you.  Were you told when you would get your results?  I've been told 3 weeks, so I've made an appointment to see him at that time, but I'll ring the surgery beforehand to make sure the results are in.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Cheetah, Sitting is uncomfortable here also!  Mine is towards the back too. I go back in 2 weeks for results.  Hoping they come up with a diagnosis since it's been a long 3 years with my old Dr.  I need to be able to move forward and have more good days!  I hope you get the answers you need too and feel better soon.  

• Posted

hi

are you in uk?  I can't believe how quick some results are mine aren't back after a month.  

• Posted

Sometimes when they get your results there's delay, only because the winter brings with it heavy traffic , people have things that need looking at so lots of people lots of pressure, adds to delays. Don't worry give the secretary a call . Ask and they will look into the delay .

• Posted

Thank you. They blame Xmas, GP has chased up histology to see if anything has changed but no word yet.  I can't put anything on there now, no Dermovate, moisturiser until it heals.  I think the Dermovate made is less sore and healed a line type graze almost as if my seam in trousers had done it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.