CARE AFTER KNEE REPLACEMENT SURGERY

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello is there anyone who has had knee replacement in their 70s who can tell.me what care is needed when you come home from the hospital. I am particularly concerned about pain relief as I can only take paracetamol.I am also concerned about managing afterwards as I have arthritis in both knees hip spine from neck to lower back and one hand. We live in a very small house and only upstairs toilet. I was told by a consultant some 6/8 years ago not to have surgery unless really necessary as it is an awful operation and not as easy as hip replacement. I am hoping it will not come to this. I have mild fibromyalgia as well.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

my friend who is in her 70s had a knee replacement, total success, was driving again in 4 weeks but I know they can be tricky especially with your other problems. She lives alone but was able to pay for 2 weeks convalescence in a private nursing home which must have helped of course. I think you really need more professional advice as to what help you could get. Try Occupational Health, you may be able to go direct but your GP should refer you if not. They can see what extra equipment you might need e.g. a commode temporarily.Ice is good for pain relief I keep iced gel packs in my freezer. When you are in hospital you should be given information as to what to use. Also at pre-assessment you could ask. Go back to your GP, you need to be properly supported and prepared. I know one vital point after the OP is to do the prescribed exercises. These ops are generally very successful I feel and worthwhile so good luck but ask for more help! Even try 111.

• Posted

Thank you I am not quite at that stage I am hoping this is just a flare up as other joints are hurting as well as having digestive problems so early days. Never the less thank you for the information and advice.

• Posted

Hi libralady13

I had my knee replacement at 60 but have arthritis in 3 other joints and feet and hands. I think regarding your pain medication after, you must discuss this beforehand as paracetamol isn't always enough. You need to do the exercises and pain relief and reducing the swelling has to be effective or the exercises will be very difficult at the beginning. I and others suffered depression after this operation, apparently it's common so be prepared for that even if you're not naturally prone to it.

I will say however, a year on and I have very good mobility in that knee and no pain, unless I don't move it! Get into a swimming pool as soon as you're able as this will really help your mobility.

I would advise, as the previous reply says, ask your GP for assistance finding aids suitable for your home, getting up from the loo was a nightmare for me but I got over it. My local authority don't provide a raised loo seat for knee replacement patients but they do for hip ops, it would have helped me so much and they don't cost too much, about £20 to buy yourself. A bath seat was absolutely essential for me too. If friends offer help, accept it as you'll need a brew at some point. A commode is an excellent idea initially if you have someone who will help to take it upstairs for you and clean it. Maybe you could have home care, depending on your mobility and resources. I think a good discussion with your GP is in order.

Pre op exercises are essential to get your muscle groups working and ready to keep you stable. Good luck whatever you decide to do. The operation is a fantastic remedy to the pain.

• Posted

Thank you I was asking for the future really as it has not been suggested as yet. I really hope I don't have surgery. Not sure I would be a suitable candidate. I have bad varicose veins so that must contribute to the discomfort and aching legs. I had them done way back in 1993 and saw the vascular surgeon a few months ago but unfortunately although he understood I don't me the current NHS criteria so can't have them stripped again unless I can afford to pay privately we which we can't. As I said hope I don't need surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.