Care coordinator reasignment

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I am much better now then I used to be but I still have some wobbles. My son is soon to go to university and that has been the source of much anxiety for me recently. Anyway, I did have a care coordinator assigned to me and she left the mental health practice. For the last few months I have been on my own. I learnt today that I will have a new care coordinator assigned to me at the end of the month smile  Does anybody else have a care coordinator? How are they helping you?

My previous care coordinator was brilliant. She used to give me a real kick up the arse and take no nonsence from me. I have got very lazy as part of the recovery and I don't allways use the 'exits' I was taught in CAT. I am really please to be assigned somebody new.

BW, BM.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like good news, Bogmonster. Congrats of your new care coordinator.biggrin

• Posted

Hi how did you get a care co involved as I could do with support I seen a phychatrist 3 week ago at mental health team and tomorrow I go back to see a nurse as I struggling with my health anxiety constantly been put on citalapram but worried I have allergic reaction and die or that they cause problems with my heart / I am taking 10mg and half of one I can't bring my self take the 20mg / I so scared so getting me worrying more about my health I have ok moments then bad ones with new symptoms I got pain bear my side breast so been worrying it something serious I don't no what to do at all any advise how I could get a carer to help me I live alone with my 14 year old soon who I try keep everything from and even my older children they aware I have anxiety but don't no any more put on brave face I not worked since March been on sick still am any help pleaee

• Posted

Sorry for the slow reply. I had a care coordinator assigned to me almost as soon as I was taken in to primary mental health care. I was in a real state and needed all the help I could get.  You may find you get allocated a care coordinator but there is no harm in asking the mental health team. Explain that you think you need one. They can help with all sorts of things from benefits to emotional support to making sure the rest of the mental health team look after you. They are your advocate and I found it really usefull to have somebody who I could just talk to. I was a suicide risk and had been refered after a failed suicide attempt so I think they wanted to keep a close eye on me. I am no longer at risk of suicide but I sometimes still get the urge. I have been through therapy and had my fair share of medication and I am on the road to recovery but it is a long road. The care coordinator helps me keep my sh1t together. Fortunately I have no financial worries and have a wife to support me, I still work so I am in a better position than many.

BW, BM.

• Posted

CAT what is this I have a CPN who I see fortnightly can I have a care co ordinator...i have bi polar disorder order diagnosed 2009 I find this difficult to bare especially the depression.....highs are great but then come the agitated stress and back to depression .....i,m feeling desperate at the moment in this depressive episode probably heightened because of PIP etc ....
    • Posted

Are you on meds? medication made all the difference with my bi polar mother....when we could get her to take them. When off meds her disease made our childhood hell. When on the meds, she was truly a glorious mom. She resisted meds more and more as she got older. The sad fact is, we lost our mom years before she actually died. From the last and final time she said..no more meds she was gone although her body was still with us. Very sad.
    • Posted

Awe so sad for you yes I,m on meds ...two great kids 33 and 27 and a granddaughter of 3 years old ......i hide a lot from my kids ...putting on a brave face ...but they accept me the way I am ...moody ...down ..and buzzing hyper as they say .....i,m socially isolated to but they accept that ...my life is my family that is all I can fit into my mind ...the outside world to me is non existent ...i,m looking at other options also to try and get more help .....i spend most of my life indoors ...would love to be able to do more for my granddaughter as she,ll be being brought up with my bi polar this scares me ....but I,m lucky in a respect that my kids adore me so its meds all the way for me ...its my own mither actually that can,t accept the illness so I,ve lost her .....thank you so much for your reply for me x
    • Posted

I am so very proud of you, Maggs. I have learned that most bipolar people will not stay on meds. Your children and granddaughter are very lucky. I'm sorry about your mother. I have heard of this before...sometimes parents feel it's their fault if a child has a challenge, and can't face it.

My sister has a son with asbergers and another with an IQ of 60, and a daughter with an ultimately fatal disease. This sister refused to give up on her children. As a result, all of them are way beyond the place the experts said was possible.

Human will and belief is utterly amazing, and so are you, Maggs.biggrin

• Posted

Thank you that's the most amazing thing I,ve heard in such along time ... My kids praise me ofcourse they do......but a complete stranger ....thank you and your sister seems so strong and amazing to must get it from you x

• Posted

Are you being seen by a primary care mental health team? If so you should ask for a care coordinator. I would imagine they are available throughout the UK. I am in Somerset. If you are seeing a pyschiatist ask them if they can refer you for a care coordinator. I think I got a care coordinator because my pyschiatrist said I needed one.

CAT is Cognative Analyitical Therapy. It looks at your past and tried to undertsnd why you have grown up to have maladaptive bevaviour and strategies to deal with life. It maps out your thought patterns and tries to define 'exits' that you can use to break out of unhelpful thought cycles you go through. It is quite intense.

BW, BM

• Posted

I now have cognitive analytical therapy...start monday ....looking forward to it .....i need more help ...i,m slipping into a depressive state ....need answers ...i want my life back ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.