Care for the canal after Mastoidectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all.  I am 47 and have had many ear issues since I was a child.  (tubes, infections, ect)  I have had 3 different surgeries to remove a cholesteatoma.  The last one in 2011 removed my tympanic bone as it was mostly destroyed.  I have titanium prosthetic and actually have decent hearing.  Just in the past few weeks, I have noticed a brown, waxy substance that smells just awful.  I realize the open canal may cause odors, but I think there may be more going on because of the stuff coming out when I clean it with a q-tip.  I am scheduled to see my ENT tomorrow (because my surgeon, who I absolutely love, can not see me anymore because I no longer have insurance and will not take cash) I am wanting to know how everyone else cleans that ear after surgeries?  Since I can no longer see my surgeon to have it cleaned out, I am terrified of infections or future cholesteatomas.

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

A combination of rubbing alcohol 70% and a teaspoon of boric acid mixed in the bottle. Swimmers use this concoction. My ENT shoots boric acid in my ear after cleanings.  Do a few drops (5/6) before bed. I leave it in there with a cotton ball plugging my ear. Don’t be scared of boric acid, it’s a drying agent, non toxic to humans and pets.  It’ll clear everything up in a few days. 
  • Posted

Hi Mary,

One thing that happens is that you can get a fungal infection. This can occur due to antibiotics killing off the so called good bacteria. Ask you doc to test for fungal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.