Careers allowance

Posted , 4 users are following.

My carer received his back dated Monday it's every 4 weeks was suppose to receive tomorrow but got Friday does a first payment and backdated go in together 😀

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Does your carer receive any other means tested benefits like JSA, ESA , Income Support or Universal credit? Sorry but this information is needed before i can answer your question.

• Posted

I'm a little confused by your question Leeann because having just read back on a previous thread of yours ( i forget names all the time) and i realised that your PIP claim wasn't successful. This means that the person that claims Carers Allowance for you will stop receiving this payment because you don't receive a qualifying benefit for them to be able to receive this. Payments for the Carers Allowance will continue for a further 4 weeks after the PIP decision was made and then they will stop. This is why i'm confused about your question for carers allowance and backdated money.

• Posted

Ah i see, i got you confused with someone with a similar name, sorry. Like i said i'm terrible with names.

Firstly, there could be issues with claiming JSA as a Carer. This is because of the JSA commitment and they will still be expected to look for work as well as care for you for at least 35 hours per week, are they going to be able to do that? There maybe questions at some point regarding this because they will be forced to look for work, if they don't then they will be sanctioned and money will be stopped from their JSA.

I would advise them to speak to their job coach at the local job centre regarding this. The most logical solution here would be Income and Carers allowance but if their area is a full UC area then they will have to claim this and not Income Support.

Now your question. You can't be paid JSA, ESA, UC or IS at the same time as Carers Allowance. This means that the Carers Allowance of £64.30 will be deducted from their JSA and then a Carers premium of £36 per week will be added to the JSA. Carers Allowance then pay them separately. This will make them £36 per week better off.

Backdated money will depend on how long your carer has been receiving JSA for, if it's for the whole length of time they've been caring for you for then the Carer Premium will be backdated. Carers Allowance will not be backdated because you can't be paid twice. The Carers premium backdated money comes from JSA. Carers allowance will pay them 4 weeks separately.

Payments will be as follows. JSA £44.80 per week. If they chose to be paid 4 weekly by Carers Allowance then this will be approx £259 every 4 weeks. This means they'll receive less JSA every fortnight but the CA every 4 weeks will make up for the loss. Confusing yes and hope you understand this.

Please do ask your carer to speak to their Job coach as soon as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.