caregiver for a 75-yo buniondectomy patient

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. My mother (who's 75) is scheduled to be operated on her bunion and hammertoe in two weeks. I just discovered this site and the forums have been quite helpful and I have a few questions:

- the surgeon said the recovery would be around three months : would like to hear from patients who'd done the procedure at 70 yo or above on the length of their recovery time?

- my mother loves wearing pants: I supposed since her feet will be all bandaged up there should not be a problem changing as long as her foot is elevated (I'll be assisting her).

- I've read that for the first week at least her foot should be elevated at ALL times (except of course going to the bathroom). Guess I'm just venting cause normally she's obstinate and OCD. Just hoping she'll follow the instructions to a T.

Your inputs are much appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

There are a number of different bunion procedures, some with a much longer recovery time than others.  I am much younger than your Mom, but had a lapidus procedure and am still not 100% and it's been almost 11 months -- and that's with 11 weeks of physical therapy following the non-weight-bearing/partial-weight-bearing phases.  I am assuming that your Mom is in very good health, is active, and the bunion/hammer toe is causing a lot of difficulty or they would not be doing this procedure.  Since you are not mentioning non-weight-bearing, I'm thinking this is an easier procedure....

• Posted

Thank you Janice for sharing your experience and views. Her surgery would include putting pins on her big toe and cutting the bone on hammertoe to straighten it. I hope that the X-ray can show whether her foot has arthritis or not.
  • Posted

Very helpful site and l had one foot done last year and second one this April. Both bunions and hammer toes. I am 71 there are lots of advice on here if you are 17 or 70☺ what can l offer...... When resting and elevating for first weeks to have by the side of you e.g. Plenty of books, laptop if she uses one, knitting?, lovely treats, bottled water if you are not around all the time, phone to call anyone and most important all pain relief tabs. I actually had a pill box and alarm set up on my phone. I found it was best to be on top of pain.

I could not cope with crutches and used a walking frame.

Shower - l bought a seat and leg protector to stop dressing getting wet.

Oh - also had pen and paper ready to write reminders e.g.shopping, what to ask

• Posted

Sorry got cut off! Yes - notes to ask surgeon etc if questions arise.

Good luck to your Mum and it will take some time. l stayed in my comfy Jim jams with wide legs for a few weeks. X

• Posted

Thank you so much Janice and gilly! I hope you ladies get back on your feet soon. Looks like Jilly had both feet operated on (albeit at different times). Hope you have recovered well from the surgery last year by this time, and wishing you well with your other foot that had the procedure last April. We have a two story townhome (bedroom upstairs) and I be decided to bring her bed downstairs in the living room so she wouldn't have to deal with the stairs immediately after surgery. TV downstairs hopefully keeps her entertained and kitchen would be in easy reach (am panning to service her in the first two weeks after surgery). I'm looking to get a knee scooter/walker for her in case she needs to go to the bathroom as well so no weight bearing on her operated foot The doctor office has scheduled the post-op visit two weeks after her surgery. So I guess that means she can't shower for at least two weeks, but I'm thinking of giving her a 'wiping' bath with a damp warm cloth to make her feel refreshed. May be a challenge to climb up the stairs 15 days after surgery - doctor suggested having her sit on the stairs and go up one step at a time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.