Carer allowance

Posted , 11 users are following.

My husband gets paid weekly carer allowance for looking after me and his normal rate is £62 weekly.

However I have checked his bank account today and he has £72 in , can anyone tell me why ? I had a esa assesment on 3rd dont know wether our money has gone up because of this or wether its a xmas bonus.

We have received no letters regarding it and dont want to spend it incase its been paid in wrong.

Any advice would be helpful

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi sounds like Christmas bonus it's this time of year you normally get the money then the letter don't worry to much about It though
  • Posted

it does sound like your award of the anuel christmas bonus. if yo have a look at the award letter the DWP sent you , it will state your entiltlemnet and it will include an annuel christmas bonus, enjoy it. 
  • Posted

Hi Dawn,

Yes, it will be the xmas bonus as others have already stated. A good tip is that if the dwp ever pay something into your account that your not sure of is to go on the internet and enter the code that prefixes the payment amount, this should take you to a web page explaining all the different codes/reasons for the payment. Have a good Christmas. MIKE.

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

This would be your Christmas Bonus for 2015. It is paid at the beginning of December, normally the first week, or unless you are paid fortnightly then it can be paid during the middle of December, depending on how the days fall.

Some Benefits are also paid with the Christmas Bonuses, you would need to contact the DWP if the Christmas Bonus is paid twice to a single person or couple, normally it should be on their records.

Christmas Bonus Overpayments

It is best to make sure that you do not receive the Bonus twice, because the DWP will claim it back from you. This happened quite recently, in one case where the DWP made a claimant pay back just over £110. The payment recall was actually 11 years which many people think is ridiculous, but in the past year the DWP has been making numerous Claimants payback Social Loans, which were not paid back at the time it was issued, from well over 10 years ago. They ended up paying nearly £20 a week back to the DWP.

Unless you have solid proof that you paid the loan in the first place, this is difficult because you are fighting a Government Department, and the DWP DO NOT accept letters on their own headed paper. You can not stop the payments even with a Statute Barred (The DWP is EXEMPT from this Act).

People have even tried saying they did not owe the money, but the DWP will ask for headed bank statements, this is okay if you hoard them. By Law, you can ask your bank for past statements, but they will only print out the past 7 years, due to a Clause in the Data Protection Act.

Probably, more than you needed to know, but it has been known to happen more so, in the past year.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Agree with the others probably the Christmas bonus....usually any benefit like this usually start first of December you will probably get a letter after 

I need to check mine today 😃 as I get careers allowance for my son . 

Enjoy it X 

• Posted

Why don't you ring the DWP and ask them. I did not get my Xmas bonus today from ESA
  • Posted

My guess is that it is xmas bonus.

If you are on multiple benefits you will only get this bonus once.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi if you are on certain benefits you can sometimes get an enhanced payment of £10 a week on top of the benefit.  It could well be this.   I was on JSA for a while and got lower rate DLA of 20.00 a week.  Because I was on JSA though I got an enhanced premium of £10 on top of this.  Check out the Govt's website and it will tell you.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.