carer and work

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello denise.i am going to claim carers for my sister but havent got my p45 yet. can i still make a claim? i will have to give up work to do this but it will take several weeks to get my p45

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Firstly, i'm assuming your sister claims a qualifying benefit such as Mid/high rate care DLA, PIP daily living or AA?

I'm not sure if a P45 will be needed but you'll need proof that you've finished work to be able to claim. Also are you planning on claiming another benefit along side the Carers Allowance, like Income Support?

• Posted

yes i would need to claim income support aswell as carers allowance
    • Posted

OK this is where problems can begin. If your area is a full Universal Credit are then i'm afraid you won't be able to claim Income Support. It will have to be Universal Credit because Income Support is one of the benefits that's being replaced by UC. You can check if your area is a full UC area by putting your postcode into this and see what it says.

https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate

• Posted

OK if your area is a full Universal Credit (UC) area then i'm afraid you won't be able to claim for Income Support, it will be UC you'll have to claim for. This is because UC is replacing all means tested benefits, and Income Support is one of them. If you do search for UC postcode checker then you'll be able to use this to heck what's in your area. It will tell if it's either a live UC are or a full UC area. PLease check this and come back and tell me what it says. I'm sorry but links still can't be posted here, very annoyingly i must admit so i can't post a link for this for you.

• Posted

One thing i forgot to ask. Does your sister claim Severe Disability Premium? If she does then she will lose this weekly money (£62ish) if you claim Carers Allowance for her.

• Posted

You must also care for her for at least 35 hours per week. You can work and claim Carers Allowance but you can't earn more than £116 per week after tax.

• Posted

my area isn.t full uc yet and yes she gets the premium but is willing to give it up

• Posted

You'll need your P45 to be able to claim benefits and you won't be able to claim Income Support until the Carers Allowance has been successfully claimed. Carers Allowance currently has a backlog in all areas of between 8-12 weeks.

If you leave your job then you'll be without money for this length of time. Your sister will be losing an awflul lot of money per week and amounts to over £250 per month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.