Carer's Allowance and backdating?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I applied for dla for my daughter back in January this year and received a decision in April to say she had been awarded low rate care. I appealed against this decision, which was successful, and she was then awarded middle rate care and low rate mobility at the end of June. I put in a application for carers allowance when I received the new decision, around 5 weeks ago, and put on the form the date I wanted to claim from was the 26th of February (as that is when she turned 5 so that is the date they awarded her new rate from). My question is how long will my carers allowance be back dated till? It's currently taking up to 8 weeks for them to make a decision which I haven't received as of yet. Thanks in advance for any help.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, usually it's 3 months back dating. In your case in would depend when the award was from. Was it from when you first applied so January or did it start from the new decision for the mid rate care?

• Posted

Hi, dla have awarded my daughter middle rate care and low rate mobility from the 26/02 this year so that's the date I put when I applied for carer's. Do you know when the 3 months backdating will go from at all? Will it be 3 months from when I applied almost 5 weeks ago or 3 months from when they send me their decision? Thanks for you reply x

• Posted

If you were eligible when she got the award in February then it may be back dated to when the decision was made. It won't be back dated any further than when the decision was made. It's not the mobility part that gives the carer allowance.

• Posted

You could just ring them and find out how much longer it's going to take.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply again. I called them on yesterday and was told that they hadn't looked at my claim yet and that if I'd not heard anything from them by the beginning of September then to ring them again.

• Posted

I've heard that carers allowance can take 8 weeks. Your money will be backdated so you'll have a nice sum of money when it is sorted smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.