carers

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am a carer! Not very well at the moment! But I am struggling to come to my own terms with my issues! As I have arthritis! So not good! Hubby is also with joint issues and sight and hearing loss! So I feel tearful at the moment! Regards Amanda

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry for what you are feeling at the moment. The demands of care giving can be overwhelming, especially if you feel you have little control over the situation or you’re in over your head. As a caregiver, you first need to take well care of yourself; only when we first help ourselves, we can effectively help others. Caring for yourself is one of the most important—and one of the most often forgotten—things you can do as a caregiver. When your needs are taken care of, the person you care for will benefit, too.

Unfortunately, you are suffering from arthritis, which could be too exhaustive for yourself. Stress and this feeling of “not doing enough” can make this condition worse, leaving you in more suffering. It is very important to being heard, long phone chats with other caregivers, online forums and support groups can be life changing. If not that, Stress reducers can be simple activities like walking and other forms of exercise, gardening, meditation or having coffee with a friend. I am sure you are under care of orthopaedician for your arthritis. Remember, your own health is vital to yourself and your loved ones.

• Posted

Hi Amanda, many caregivers don't know how to marshal the goodwill of others and are reluctant to ask for help. You may not wish to "burden" others or admit that you can't handle everything yourself. However, if you really think, you can’t handle it alone all the time, be prepared with a mental list of ways that others could help you.  

I am sure you must be doing a good job of care-giving to your ill husband. But if you feel at any time, you are not able to cope up due to your own illnesses, don’t consider this as your failure. The time comes for many, if not most, caregivers where they need to look at options such as assisted living or a nursing home for their loved one. The caregiver may be at a breaking point and needs relief for his or her own health, or the care receiver may not be safe without more care. Enlisting the help of assisted living or a nursing home does not mean you failed care giving class. You are just getting help. You remain part of a team.

• Posted

Hi Bethany, thank you for your message!. I am coping,although its tough going. But there are other people who are worse off than me. I always insist that we have several mini breaks with my hubby. There is no way that he would ever go into a home. We always want to be together! Regards Amanda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.