carers

Posted , 9 users are following.

My wife gets carer allowance for looking after me, She is on D.L.A. at moment  we have just had letter to say we due dentist money for work on her teeth and Optical work is not Free either we assumed as I was on P.I.P. these benefits were free for both of us. .She has no other income can some one please clarify for us

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Unfortunately you would not qualify under PIP alone do either of you get E SA if you do eye test is free you will only get a discount on new glasses but you will not get anything for dental treatment unless you get working tax credit
    • Posted

HI Sharon,

If someone is entitled to free NHS treatment then this includes dental treatment as well as eye tests and prescriptions. They don't have to claim working tax credit to get free dental treatment.

• Posted

Hi,

As Sharon has stated being on DLA and Carers Allowance alone doesn't qualify you or your wife for free NHS treatment for eye tests, dental or prescriptions.

What other benefits do you both receive, or is it just these you mentioned? If you don't receive anything else then may i ask why? Do either of you work?

• Posted

Hi Denise  I also get E.S.A. I GET FREE TREATMENT BUT MY WIFE DOES NOT  AND SHE EARNS NO MONEY
    • Posted

Hi,

As she's your wife you should be claiming as a couple, if this isn't the case then why aren't you claiming as a couple. Claiming as a couple will entitle you BOTH to free NHS treatment for all the things i mentioned above.

• Posted

The easiest way to work this out for you is by asking how much ESA per week so you receive and which group are you in the Support Group or WRAG? do you both claim either DLA and PIP, if so is it mid/high rate care DLA or daily living PIP that either of you claim?

Answer those questions and i'll gladly help you further.

• Posted

You need to ring ESA. I do not understand why you're not already claiming as a couple, you should be. It's possible you are and you don't realise. Which group are you in for ESA and i'll tell you how much per week you should be claiming. If you can also answer my other questions above i'll be able to help you more.

• Posted

Hi Denise I get £109.30 a week E.S.A. also get P.I.P. ENHANCED £82.30 A WEEK AND ENHANCED £57.45 MOBILITY. WIFE GETS  CARERS AND D.L.A. MIDDLE £55.65 AND £22.OO MOBILTY

• Posted

That's Support Group Contribution based ESA. Did you transfer from Incapacity benefit? If so then this could be why you're claiming Contribution based. They owe you a lot of money if this is the case.

I would urge you to ring ESA first thing Monday morning. As couple rate ESA you should be claiming the following.

Couples rate Support Group £151.40 per week

Enhanced disability premium couples £22.85 per week. Total weekly ESA £174.25 per week.

The Carers Allowance will then be taken off the ESA and a Carers premium of £34.60 per week will be added and Carers Allowance will then pay her.

BUT because you both claim a qualifying disability benefit you can both claim Severe disability premium on top of the ESA. For this your wife will have to cancel the Carers Allowance. You can't claim couples SDP if someone claims Carers allowance for you. Couples rate SDP is £124.90 per week EXTRA on top of the ESA amount.

Total money for couples ESA plus all the premiums will be...£299.15 per WEEK. You will then both be entitled to claim free NHS dental, eye tests and prescriptions. This amount is without your PIP and DLA per month.

I know it's very complicated but trust me with this one, i honestly wouldn't advice you if i knew i wasn't correct. You will need to ring ESA first thing Monday morning to get your wife added onto your ESA claim. You also need to make sure you're claiming the INCOME RELATED top up ( which is all the premiums i mentioned above) Hope you understand this.

• Posted

Hi Denise. Thanks for your help I will phone first thing Monday it may be my own fault as I did not tell E.S.A. WE ONLY GOT MARRIED YEAR AND HALF AGO AFTER CANCER DIAGNOSIS AND ONLY LIVED TOGETER FOR JUST OVER FOUR YEARS BUT BEEN TOGETHER 16YEARS JUST THOUGHT THEY WOULD HAVE KNOWN .
    • Posted

No problem. You do realise that you should always report a change in circumstances. They won't know unless you report it or someone else does. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Denise. Phoned E.S.A. this morning and did not help me all they went on about was when did I receive my own pension they did not know I was getting surely that was why I was in contribution based  in any case they just tie you in knots now I am scared money will be cut regards
  • Posted

I am confused. Not meaning to be nosy but if your wife is your carer how can she be on DLA unless she is disabled herself.

If she is disabled herself then how on earth is she looking after you?!!

My dental treatment is free because I am on guaranteed Pension Credit but I still have to pay something towards my glasses.

The benefit system is complicated and I doubt if anyone really understands it!

Sarah

• Posted

Perfectly simple explanation. A person can claim Carers Allowance for looking after someone even if they claim a disability benefit their self. The only time that it maybe questioned is if the person claiming the CA has the SAME conditions as the other person.

For example. My daughter and myself claim PIP. I claim Carers Allowance for her because the reasons i claim PIP are totally different to the reasons she claims PIP. Mine in physical and hers is mental health.

Being on pension credit allows you FREE NHS treatment for dental, glasses and prescriptions. I have no idea where you got that info from but it's wrong. Pension Credit is a means tested benefit the same as JSA/ESA and Income Support and all of these allow FREE NHS treatment as i stated in a previous post. Thanks.

Yes, i understand the benefit system and thats why i give the advice i do.

• Posted

For your glasses when claiming free NHS eye tests you'll be given a voucher with a certain amount of money that will alllow you a maxium amount towards your glasses. Anything extra that you choose then yes of course you have to pay for. The same as everyone. NHS will only allow you so much. lol

• Posted

Hi Sarah . Denise is right it was D.W.P told her to claim for the very reason's sometimes they tell you what you should be claiming

• Posted

Hi Denise. Just to let you know I got it all sorted out by phone to-day thanks for your help
    • Posted

Hi Denise. do you know what happens to the benefits if you on P.I.P. & E.S.A. & you reach state pension age and if being married to younger women when does she get hers is it single or married rates

• Posted

Hi Thomas,

I'm afraid that's way beyond my knowledge. I have many many years to go yet before i reach pension age and my knowledge is very limited in the department. I wouldn't want to advice you incorrectly.

If no one else answers your question here then i'd advice making an appointment with your local CAB.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.