Carers Allowance

Posted , 3 users are following.

We are in our sixties and I  claim Carers Allowance for one son and have a personal pension. We have just found out that my husband could claim Carers Allowance for our other son who receives PIP both rates. (That is 2 people living in the same household claiming Carers Allowance for 2 different sons).   My husband is in his sixties has 4 years left before retiring and works 16 hours a week at present.  He needs to drop to 12 hours a week to claim Carers Allowance which his company are happy for him to do and will give him a 12 hour contract. He gets paid every 4 weeks. He is planning on starting his 12 hours from April 2017 and working 4 weeks and receiving his first payslip showing the 12 hours for each week and then put the Carers Allowance claim in but ask to start it from when he started his 12 hour contract i.e. 9/4/17.  On the Carers Allowance form it asks the date you started your job.  Does he put the date he started his 12 hour contract or does he put the date he started with the company.  Another question on the form asks did you care for this person before the date you start claiming from.  Does he put Yes to this, but he couldn't claim because he was working 16 hous a week and earning too much or does he put no.  Also will the DWP query and/or be awkward because  he has dropped from 16 hours a week to 12 hours just to claim Carers Allowance.

Thanking you in advance for any advice.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

In addition to post above both sons are receiving Income Related ESA and are in the Support Group and receive Enhanced Disability Premium of £15 a week.  Whilst I have been claiming Carers Allowance and personal pension for one of my sons it has not affected his Income related ESA.  Will my other son's ESA be affected if my husband claims Carers Allowance for him as well as working 12 hours a week.

• Posted

Hi I am not sure, I do know that my partner who has been my full time carer for the last 8 months due to an accident that has left me unable to walk cannot claim care because he is of pension age, it doesn't stop him having to do loads for me but that's the rules, so I suggest if you are going to claim it will have to be fast and of course it will all depend on the amount of care your son needs on a daily basis

• Posted

Hi,

To be able to claim Carers Allowance you mustn't earn anymore than £110 per week and care for the person for at least 35 hours per week. You would put the date the reduced hours start and yes if he cared for the person before that date of course you'd put yes but Carers Allowance can't be paid with earnings over £110 per week. They may or may not be awkward i have no idea. Carers Allowance would not affect your sons money because it's not them claiming it it's the person looking after them. Carers Allowance isn't payable when someone claims pension but instead a Carers premium would be paid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.