Carers allowance

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, does anyone know if my daughter in law can claim carers allowance for my 22 year grandson. as she has just been made redundant.

He alreadys has pip and is waiting on his esa claim.

Thanks in advance.

kriss

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello,  I do believe that your daughter will be able to claim carers allowance for your grandson if he is claiming PIP.  To claim carers allowance your daughter must be able to look after your grandson for 35 hours a week.  It is immaterial what your grandson has,  so there is no need for you to disclose his disability.

I am sure there will be someone on this site who will be able to give you good advice.

• Posted

Hi,

Yes lilmem is right with the advice about claiming Carers Allowance. Just 1 little question. You say your grandson has a PIP award but you don't say what award. If he has a daily living award then yes your daughter can claim Carers Allowance. As lilmem says we don't need to know any details about your grandson's condtion as this is totally irrelivant to claiming Carers Allowance. She just needs to ring DWP to start the calim off. There's a huge back log right now and claims can take anything up to 12 weeeks.

• Posted

Hi and thanks for replying to me. As i mentioned my grandson i is getting ESA, have filled in the relevant forms and returned them to the DWP ,with a fit note from his GP.

Can she still claim carers and will it affect his PIP and ESA.?

Denise, I am not sure about what level he is on but he gets 82.50 per week.

Kriss.

• Posted

Does your grandson live alone? if he does and he claims ESA then he can claim Severe Disability Premium but he won't be able to claim this if...

1/ someone claims Carers Allowance for him or

2/ he lives with someone

If he doesn't live alone then he won't qualify for Severe Disability Premium and she will be able to claim the carers. It won't affect his ESA. Does he go to college, if so does he get a Student Loan? Sorry for all the questions but without the answers then i can't give you the correct answers. £82.50 is Enhanced Daily Living.

• Posted

Hi, Denise,

No he lives at home with his mum who has just been made redundant this week

He went to college last year but it was all .to much for him, he failed the course and he yes he did get a student loan that he will have to pay back 

• Posted

Hi Krys,

Then his mum will be able to claim the Carers Allowance.

With his ESA he will have to send fit/sick notes regular. He'll be sent an ESA50 form which will need to be filled in and returned along with all the evidence. He'll most likely need an assessment for this but waiting times vary accross the country. Some people are waiting up to 1 year for ESA. If successfully placed into one of the groups he won't need to send in anymore fit notes. Hope this helps and sorry again for all the questions.

• Posted

Hi,  Just one more question, his mum will have to claim JSA  herself now, will that affect her claim for carers allowance,
    • Posted

This is where it gets very complicated. Carers Allowance can't be paid alongside certain benefits JSA and Income Support is one of them. If she claims JSA then her total money for carers and JSA would be approx £109 per week. This is because Carers Allowance is taken away from the JSA BUT then they add a carers premium so she would be £34 per week better off. If she's paid enough National Insurance Contributions in the last 2 years then she can claim JSA for 6 months, if she has a partner that works then her JSA would end after those 6 months because she wouldn't be entitled to Income related benefits.

With JSA she would be expected to look for work but when she claims Carers Allowance and it's eventually accepted and her payments start then she can't earn more than £116 per week after tax.

There's another option once the Carers Allowance has started, she could claim Income Support IF she doesn't have a partner that works, if she does have a partner that works (and they live together) then she won't be able to claim Income Support because it's a means tested benefit.

Hope you understand this because like i said it's extremely complicated.

• Posted

Hi Denise,

Yea it is very confusing,  Just to let you know that my grandson and I filled in the ESA50 and sent it back about 10 weeks ago, heard nothing yet.

Again thank you.

krys70

• Posted

The assessment phase is 13 weeks so if placed in the Support Group money will be back dated to week 14 of the claim. Unfortunately because of the WRAG changes in April this year for those who applied after 3rd April then money will remain the same, there will be no dack dated money.

Be prepared to have a very long wait, some people wait 1 year or more for an assessment.

Happy to be able to help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.