Carers allowance and Income support

Posted , 2 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Regarding claiming Carers allowance and Income support  for my wife after my PIP got reinstated in Mandatory reconsideration.

My PIP benefit is reinstated and upgraded. I would kindly like to get an advice how I can get my wife's Carers allowance and Income support reinstated and backdated till 4 January 2017. She was getting these before my PIP got stopped on 4 January 2017. Currently I am on ESA WRAG.

1. Which benefits are better off claiming. Is it ESA WRAG with Carers allowance for my myself and my wife or couple claim for Income support with Carers allowance. 

2. How to re start the claims for carers allowance and income support. Can we ask for the linking claim rules or not? My wife has to go to the job centre to sign the Income support form again or can we do over phone. Which is the easy way?

When filling carers allowance forms its states that some benefits of the person who is cared for gets affected. Reduced council tax if the local council offers it, a severe disability premium paid with the benefits, extra amount of severe disability paid. It also states that total benefits payments will usually either go up or stay the same. 


We pay reduced council tax for 15 pounds a month. We don't want any reduction in this. Our local Council is Coventry.

Your advice is really appreciated.

I look forward to hearing.

Thank you.

Mr I singh


0 likes, 5 replies


5 Replies

  • Posted


    First of all as you're a couple is there a reason why your wife isn't on your claim for ESA? You should be claiming jointly not 1 on Income Support and the other on ESA.

    To reinstate the Carers Allowance you just ring them and they'll send you another form. With Carers Allowance some certain benefits overlap this so she'll get paid a Carers Premium instead. For example you can't claim ESA and Carers Allowance together. With Severe Disability Premium i'm afraid you wouldn't be entitled to this because you live with a non dependant I.E your wife. If both of you recieved the Daily Living part of PIP or Mid/high rate care DLA then you'd be able to claim this.

    Is there any reason why you don't want a reduction in your Council Tax?

    • Posted

      Thanks Denise. My wife is on my claim for ESA. I want to clarify is ESA better or Income support. We have two dependent children.

      I am on reduced council tax and I don't want it to be stopped after my wife claims carers allowance.

      How to restart her I. S under 12 weeks linking rules. I will be added onto the claim for her I.S

      Any advice appreciated.


    • Posted

      In your first post you said you were in the WRAG for ESA so i don't understand the part about you wanting to restart her IS under the 12 weeks linking rule. You can't claim both ESA and IS. ESA would be more money the IS if you're in WRAG group.

    • Posted

      Thanks for the reply Denise,

      Yes I am on WRAG of ESA with my wife name on it. But according to the I.S rules we will be better off in claiming Income support. The I.S will be in my wife's name with my name added on it. She can claim Carers allowance aswell. But  we are not sure how to get restart these both claims under 12 weeks linking rules. And what effect this will have on the reduced council tax and any other benefit. Any advice appreciated with thanks.

      Mr Singh

    • Posted

      What i'm not understanding is the rapid reclaim question. If you're in the WRAG for ESA then your claim for ESA must have been longer than 13 weeks because this is the minimum amount of time someone will be on ESA assessment phase for. This would take you outside the time for a rapid reclaim for IS. Also you wouldn't really need to make a rapid reclaim anyway because claiming over the phone wouldn't take long, they'd then send you the forms in the post. Payment shouldn't take that long too and if you wait until you've had your ESA payment then make a claim for IS you should be fine.

      The reduced council tax would totally depend on your local council and i have no idea who that is. You'll be much better off ringing them to ask your question. Hope this helps.


Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up