Carers Allowance contacting ESA

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I've written into this forum before and had some very helpful advice off Denise and am hoping she can advise me again. I have spoken to carers allowance this morning and have been told that my application for carers allowance has been accepted and I have been awarded it from the 26th of February this year, (this is when I got my daughters middle rate care award from dla) I have been on esa since March of this year and carers have said that they have contacted esa to ask them how much they can pay me in back pay and I was wondering if anyone knew what that might mean for me in terms of what I may receive in back pay? I. e, how much they'll take off what I'm owed etc? Thank you.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ruby,

You can't claim Carers Allowance and ESA together, it's complicated but the same as claiming Income Suport and Carers Allowance, you can't. You would then have an underlying entitlement to it so you would be paid the premium of £34.60 per week on top of your ESA, instead of the full Carers Allowance which is £62 ish. So how ever many weeks you're owed then times it by £34.60 and this is how much you'll be owed. A nice little extra money for you to treat yourself. As mums we all deserve treats every now and then, right? smile hope this helps. xx

• Posted

My calculations is it's around £1,000 give or take that they owe you smile

• Posted

Thanks very much for your reply Denise, it was very helpful. The only thing I'm a bit confused about though is that my advisor who I see at the job centre has told me I'd be better to stay on esa while I'm claiming carers? I've got my medical on the 12th of September and she's said that she's hoping I get put into the work related group so she can still continue to support me? Thanks again for your reply, I did ring esa this morning to ask them about the backpay but what they told me didn't make much sense.

• Posted

You're welcome. Is this your first ESA assessment or are you in a group at the moment?

• Posted

Hi, this is my first esa assessment so I'm not in any group at the moment. I was thinking it would be easier just to go onto income support now I've been awarded carers but my advisor seems to think it'd be better for me to stay on esa? Any thoughts on why that might be? Thanks again for your help, much appreciated 😊 Xx

• Posted

Ok. If you stay on ESA it would be better for you if you were placed in the Support Group, but it's not easy to get there. Being in th WRAG you would have to attend the JC regular, if you don't attend when asked to they'll most likely sanction you. Being in the Support Group they leave you alone. However, you'll continue to be re-assessed at regular intervals. If you claimed Income Support then of course there's no assessments to contend with. WRAG money would depend on when you started your ESA claim because those who started it after April this year the rules have changed and they don't get the additional money anymore. If you started your claim before April then the old rules apply and you'll get the WRAG group extra money and there'll be a little backdated money also (if placed in this group) . If you started your claim before April it maybe worth your while waiting until your assessment to see which group they put you into, if it was after then it may not be worth your while having this assessment and start your claim for Income Support. So, when did you start claiming ESA? You also can't start claiming Income Support until your Carers Allowance has started and as yet they still have to speak to ESA am i right? Sorry for all the questions lol the benefit system is very complex.

• Posted

Ah I see, thank you. I'm pretty sure I've been on esa since March of this year. My current 'fit note' doesn't run out until the 30th of September and my assessment is on the 12th, any idea how long it may take at all to receive a decision from my medical? Yes carers have said they still have to speak to esa but also said my first payment from them would be on the 11th of September and then every week thereafter. You really are great at giving helpful advice out 😊 Xx

• Posted

Decision times vary depending on where you are in the country and how long the backlog is. It can be anything from 2-8 weeks. Thanks, i claim both ESA and PIP myself and believe me i really have done my research lol The only thing i have no idea about is Universal Credit, and i'm not that great with pensions either. The benfits system is rather complex. Happy to help anyone that posts, anytime! smile xx

• Posted

Ok, thank you ? and yes, the benefits system is very complex! I feel like I come off the phone to them almost every time none the wiser so it's great to have someone to explain it in a straightforward simple way. I assumed you were a benefits advisor, or had been given your knowledge 😁 Xx

• Posted

Ok, thank you ? and yes, the benefits system is very complex! I find myself more often than not coming off the phone from them none the wiser so it's great to have someone to explain it in a straightforward, simple way. I assumed you were or had been a benefits advisor given your knowledge 😁 Xx

• Posted

No problem. No i have never been a benefits advicer. There has been a few people on here that thought i actually worked for the DWP rofl!!! I can assure everyone that i have never and will never work for them. Besides mostly when speaking to DWP on the phone they have no idea what they're talking about. I most probably know more than they know. It's been my pleasure to help you and i'm glad i explained it well enough for you to understand smile It makes me happy knowing i can help others claim what they're entitled to xx

• Posted

Well your doing a great job so keep up the good work 😊 it can be very frustrating not getting a straight answer from the DWP so it really is very helpful to have someone explain it properly and not just 'fob you off' like the DWP seem to do most of the time! I'll post back on here when I've heard back from them regarding my backdated carers 😊 Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.