Carers Allowance Help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm just wondering if someone out there can shed some light of what I could do next.

I and my mum are both disabled and can't get out to do food shopping, always struggling indoors with every day issues.

I get the low rate of mobility on PIP and her Attendance Allowance.

Seeing as we do a lot of online shopping and help each other with various physical every day things, can we get carers allowance for each other?

We do not get any help from anyone else and have both been suffering in this condition for months now.

I always presumed if you are not physically getting someone's shopping that we or I would not get it.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Carers Allowance is very complicated. To be able to claim you need to be caring for someone for at least 35 hours per week and not earn more than £110 per week. Tom if you don't get the Daily Living part of PIP your mum wouldn't be able to claim it for you. She wouldn't be entitled to this if you're just claiming the mobility part of PIP. As your mum is claiming Attendance Allowance, if you're looking after her for more than 35 hours per week and earn less than £110 per week you should be able to claim it for her. Give them a ring and ask them to send you a form out.

• Posted

Denise, as I can't work for obvious reasons and get no money that way I can not apply for it? I am limited to standing for around 7 minutes, example, mum trying to get out of bed is awfully hard on her, so, I stand there, lean backwards as if to fall over to get pull on her to help her up, I can't pull physically to help her that way, these methods me and my mum have been doing for a few years now and it is pathetic the way that we are living at the moment.

I am just scared to death that, if claiming carers allowance, they will simply look at my recent PIP win, my ESA background and say, well, you can help your mum for over 35hrs a week, as I also have to always keep an eye on her (she has vascular dimentia) but, help your mum, so you are fit, we will strip all of your benifits away now.

Has anyone ever been awarded carers allowance though they can't physically go and do shopping and cook for them?

• Posted

As long as you're not contradicting the reasons why you're claiming those benefits you'll be fine. Caring for someone can be a very wide range of things evening just sitting with them and talking to them to giving medication. Even though you can't do the shopping or cooking. As long as you're caring for her for at least 35 hours a week. Remember only you can claim for your mum she can't claim for you because you don't recieve the daily living part of PIP.

• Posted

I see Denise, looking a little hopeful then, I always have to reassure her about things being ok during the day, I have to make sure her depression does not affect her, have to make dr's appointments for her, genrally phone calling everyone as she can't do it herself most of the time. And above all, always have to make sure that she is safe from harm.

The only thing I am doubtful of is that since she has got her allowance, as we live in a council home, she was awarded full rent allowances, where as before it was only partial help, she did not have to pay anything but I did, every fortnight, but now I do not have to. So, I saw on other sites that the person that you care for could get their housing benefit taking partially down again, thus I'd have to start paying fortnight rent payments again, is this true?

• Posted

With the rent that would depend on your local council. I can't see that claimng Carers Allowance would have any affect on the rent, even though carers allowance is a taxable benefit and can affect some benefits. It's very complicated.

• Posted

Looks like this post/posts has been deleted. Odd, when asking for help, advise.
    • Posted

I hope you know Billy even on a small website like this you must give solid grounds in an Email of why posts were deleted.

• Posted

It says the post was deleted by a forum moderator and would have nothing to do with Billy deleting it.
    • Posted

Oh, ok. It makes me wonder though, I wont be posting on here anymore sad to say as it seems when I have asked for advice it has been denied. Good luck with everything Denise.

To Mods on here, shame on you supporting the DWP smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.