Carers allowance, housing benefit and 10 hours work

Posted , 2 users are following.

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place or already answered.  I currently receive Carers allowance for looking after my husband.  He gets full rate Attenance Allowance and I get standard rate daily living.  We also get a small amount of housing benefit. My question is, if I am offered 10 hours work a week at £7.50 per hour, and I accept it, will we lose the housing benefit and carers allowance.  Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

You can earn up to £116 per week and still claim Carers Allowance BUT it would most likely affect your housing benefit. Do you claim any other Income related benefits like Income Support, ESA as the hours and money earned would affect that also. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you Denise.  No I don;t claim any other benefits.  I just get the C.A. and PIP standard daily living.  I have to be careful as if I do work, even for £75 p.w. it will take me over the tax allowance threshold because I have a good pension.

• Posted

You're welcome. What ever you decide to do please make sure you ring CA even though it's under the amount you can earn, you'll need to ring just to tell them. They'll want proof of hours and money earned. Also ring your local council too and inform housing benefit and report those changes, they'll also want proof of earnings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.