carers allowance&income support

Posted , 2 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I'm receiving carers allowance and receive income support i have a 16 yr old special needs son who is on pip and was on dla before that he was at first (nov6th 2016)turned down for pip but after appealing the desision he was awarded pip 2mths ago and i had to apply to be his carer etc again and was awarded carers allowance alsoBut now i have recieved letter stating because he is now 16 my entitlement is £107.70 and not like it was previously £178.50 because he is 16 ???on the letter it says my living expenses are £73.10&£34.60 extra because im a carer&that gives me total of £107.70& then carer's allowance for me=£62.10= My total income £62.10&then less the£62.10 carers allowance so that make income support entitlement 45.60 ??please can anyone tell me why they have deducted almost £78 wk off me and am I eligible to apply for any other benefit?To help make up my £ and whether my son is eligible to anything else other than his pip which he receives every mth.??I'm not a benefits scrounger by the way I'm just so confused with all the allowance award thing etc!!!Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies


5 Replies

  • Posted


    I'm not sure why your recieved £178.50 previously because that doesn't make sense. Income Support alone is £73ish per week and Carers Allowance is £62.10 per week adding those together wouldn't get you £178.50. Also because Carers Allowance will reduce your Income support by that amount this is because Carers allowance is taxable income and Income Support is means tested. This means they will add a carers premium on top of the Income Support instead, so you will get in total around £107 per week. If your son is still in full time education you will still recieve Child benefit and tax credits on top of this. I'm really not sure why you used to recieve that amount before because you shouldn't have as you can't recieve both of those benefits together. Hope this helps.

    • Posted

      Also you never said what the PIP award was? You could get extra child tax credits but this would depend if recieving the Daily Living part and if it's Standard or Enhanced. Other than this there's housing benefit and Council tax benefit you could revieve. This is all you could possibly claim.


Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up