Caring for a recently diagnosed late onset schizophrenia

Posted , 4 users are following.

My dear wife of over fifty years has been diagnosed with late onset schizophrenia and I am wondering if anyone in the forum has experience of this or of caring for/living with someone with this condition?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear Roy my sister lived with it her whole life. I didn’t know what it was, until she got older. But I know looking back on my childhood things  weren’t right and she was never properly diagnosed  until adulthood . But you’ll go though many  medications until you find the right one for her .  The hardest thing is when they feel OK and they are all right they don’t want to take their medication . So it’s tricky.  Lots of love and understanding and patience is what you’re going to need . And a good doctor. Find a good doctors that you can trust. And tell your family, get everyone involved so they know what your dealing with. And a good focus group. Best of luck. Yuki
  • Posted

Thanks for this. It early days for us but the meds seem to help but she gets very drowsy in the evenings and sleeps much better than hithertofore. So its an adventure for both of us and the children/grandchildren (older ones only!)
  • Posted

Roy  consider yourself lucky back in the 60s they knew nothing about mental illness.  My mom and dad went through hell with my sister ,  and there was a big black cloud over mental illness .  They have a lot more treatments and understanding of it today . Yuki
  • Posted

I don't know personally what it is like but from working in the mental health sector I would make sure that you talk to people about getting some help for carers.  This is important as it not only gives you some support but it helps you to understand what they are going through and how to deal with things and cope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.