Carpal tunnel and exercise!? Tips?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, random introduction.

Over the past year I my body has bit by bit fallen apart due to either schloroderma or a generic connective tissue autoimmune condition.

It's caused the skin on my hands to fall off at one point, caused me to vomit blood, given me an actual heart attack, caused my stomach to turn to pure acid 90% of the time and most annoyingly of all caused capal tunnel that causes me to wake up in numb pain every night several times and messes with my entire day.

At points this has been so bad my hands were visibly so swollen one looked like it had been inflated and I had almost no movement and a mixture of numbness and blinding pain.

At the moment the more I use my hands the more numb they become, also if I leave them still they also go numb. My range of movement is limited but better than it was, I can't close a fist of straighten my fingers but it's been far far worse than it is now. I'm waiting on treatment for the overall autoimmune inflammation condition that I hope will help as well as nerve conduction and muscle degredation tests as my physio has noticed definite deterioration in my hands and wrists when doing exercises with marbles causing my hands to shake as I struggled to pick them up.

Before 2019 I was going to the gym 3-5 times a week and was pretty strong and healthy, the rest of my body is feeling better enough for the first time in a year that I'd like to actually go to the gym and start lifting and swimming again but I just don't think I could, grip strength is just gone, I can't close my hands fully and pressure pulling on my fingers hurts like a b*****d...

How do people exercise around how crippling carpal tunnel can be?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Edward

I developed CTS in 1988 but the surgery was successful. Later on I had it in the other wrist

but again the surgery was successful. The surgery itself is done with local anesthetic and doesn't

take long, less than an hour. Do you wear braces on your wrists ? They may relieve some of the

discomfort you experience.

alpine

• Posted

Do you wear hand splints at night this can help a lot and are you on the waiting list for carpel tunnel release?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.