Carpal tunnel injections 5 days ago still in pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had the injections on Monday it's now Saturday I had the injections on Monday it's now Saturday and I'm in excruciating pain more than before I got the shots. Is this normal? There is a little bruising as well as specially on my right wrist . The doctor told me I should start feeling better in one week and my goal should be two weeks. The most of what I've read and people I've talked to that had them said they felt better in 2 or 3 days. Is there a reason he told me 1 to 2 weeks?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm starting to get worried if I don't start feeling better on Monday I'm going to be really worried. I'm on the verge of losing everything because I can't even work. The doctor told me I have a mild case of carpal tunnel which doesn't make sense to me considering it's so severe I can barely cook a meal or pick anything up. I have so much pain in the top of my forearm and connecting to my bicep and I kept telling him I believe I have carpal tunnel I don't think it's carpal tunnel that's causing my forearm and bicep pain but he kept doing little tests and saying that it wasn't tennis elbow or anything like that but it must be the carpal tunnel because the nerve test showed a mild case of carpal tunnel so I went ahead and did the shots and I'm in more pain now than before. My carpal tunnel is so sore

• Posted

Hi, maybe you should check rheumatoid arthritis...... I had six surgeries ( 3 on each hand ) for carpal tunnel... come to find out it was ra causing it.... I had a cortisone shot once, before my surgeries.... the pain was worse than carpal tunnel symptoms.... for three days I couldn't even hold the bottle to feed my 4 month old..... it took me a week to go back to work and I'm a mail carrier, and the pain was still there for a couple more days..... so around two weeks than the pain went away, I will never do that again, had to use prescribed pain pills for those 2 weeks... good luck, Coral 🇺🇸🏝Also I'm in the army reserves and after that shot I couldn't even qualify with my rifle, the pain in my hands were miserable.. so thank goodness that's over with and I qualified ......because who knows when I need that training? It looks like it might be sooner than expected. So I am grateful that my hands are so much better after the right medication......😊🏝🇺🇸👋

• Posted

Was the injection itself painful (give it a score on a scale from 0-10 no pain = 0, the worst imaginable pain = 10)? Do you know exactly what your nerve conduction tests showed? ("mild" does not mean a lot - you need to see the numbers). What did they inject? (Steroid, dose, with or without a local anaesthetic). If you can give all that information we might get a bit further with this. Dr J Bland

• Posted

The injection itself was very painful I've got to say it was a 10. Especially on the right hand which got the bigger bruise. Other people I've talked to that had the injections said they felt better within 3 or 4 days and did not ever get a bruise why did I get a bruise and why didn't it work on me . I don't know the dose they injected or if it was with anesthetic but my hands were super numb for 3 or 4 hours. It's an album 3 and 1/2 Weeks and I feel no better than before I got the shots in the first place. My carpal tunnel area under the palm isn't that bad.It bothers me sometimes when doing certain like starting the car opening the car door among other things but the top of my forearm where connects to the bicep is so tight when I stretch it out it feels like it wants to rip has a burning throbbing swollen pain.Its a constant Non-Stop pain it gets worse when I do something as little as unloading the dishwasher I'll have to ice and lay down for an hour or two for it to calm down. I'm scared it's not carpal tunnel everything I read sounds like it's tendonitis. I think I may have to separate things going on. But the doctor said I don't have tendonitis or tennis elbow. It's a very different type of pain than the pain I get in the carpal tunnel area. I have an appointment on the 18th. Any insight help or advice would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance. P.s. we did speak about surgery when he did the injections but he said if the injections don't work we may want to hold off on surgery what did he mean by that?

• Posted

CTS injections are generally not that painful so a 10 suggests that something was perhaps wrong with the procedure. Upper forearm pain of that severity is also not typical of CTS - did that start after the injection or was it there beforehand. It sounds as thought they may have included an anaesthetic in the intection. We could really do with knowing what your NCS results showed I'm afraid - and they might need repeating. Dr J Bland

• Posted

Other things that hurt are squirting Windex ,scrubbing the stove top ,scrolling through the phone ,clicking the mouse, basically everything I do all kills the top of my forearm. I'm scared he's going to tell me to do the carpal tunnel surgery and it's not going to fix the top of my forearm which is what's really holding me back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.