Carpal Tunnel Newbie

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey Everyone

I have managed to get carpal tunnel syndrome (not formally diagnosed) as a result I believe of my profession (sports massage), along with doing weights etc. I also have a part time desk job.

My symptoms are pretty mild at present, occasional paraesthesia in the hands, and most nights I wake up with numb hands.

I have been trying to get rid of this condition, but am unsure of how best to tackle it. I have found the strengthening and moblilty exercises to flare it up somewhat?

I really don’t want to have to give up massage; can carpal tunnel just go away, never to return?

Any advice you could give me to help alleviate the condition, either proven or anecdotal based on your experience would be amazing.

Many thanks in advance

Richard

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Unfortunately nothing will make it go away once you have it. Some people have steroid injections in their wrist which can work. It didn't for me and i ended up getting the ct release op.

• Posted

Hi

I've had carpal tunnel for about 6 years , mildly for about 4 and I've tried everything out there . The last 2 years it's been at its worse . I've tried everything to avoid surgery . Unfortunately nothing as worked and now I'm due my op on the 22nd of this mouth . I just hope all goes well as most my hobbies involve the use of my hands.

Hope this helps . My surgeon told me to change my lifestyle sad

• Posted

I battled CTS for 3 years. I am an avid weight lifter which probably helped contribute to it. I tried everything to prevent surgery. I waited to long to see if I could heal on its own that my other hand progressed and I recently had bi-lateral carpal surgery. At 6 weeks out I am not where I was at the gym, but able to do medium weights, just not the heavy ones I was used to. Bench press is the most difficult as it puts that pressure on the palm. I don't think you will have to give up massaging. It will take time to regain the strength of where you're at now. I have no regrets of the surgery. I can sleep at night now!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.