Carpal tunnel op and driving

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I had op 2 1/2 weeks ago on left hand. I'm gently exercising and can

bend fingers to palm but can't grip yet. I'm keen to start driving as soon as

possible but I'm concerned as I will need to drive for my holiday in

8 weeks time. Can I ask for your experiences please? Apart from the pain I'm

surprised how it affects you mentally and emotionally and although I was

made aware of post op pain it's still more painful than I thought it might be!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janet you just have to listen to your hand. If something simple is painful just avoid using it for a while. It does seen we all get told different ways of recovery too. I was told not to use it for 6 weeks. Then that increased as still in pain in my wrist, now on week 8. I was driving week 2 though, although just my steering hand.

Last September I had my other done and tried driving after week 2 as live alone and it hurt to lift the handbrake and change gear. So I limited those trips.

It's affected me emotionally too, 8 weeks off and not feeling the benefit yet, been back to the surgeon and assured me everything ok but just taking a long time. Told me now to take ibuprofen for the swelling and it's working. Bringing it down a bit. I've told myself off a few times, has days where I don't want to leave the house. That's me being pathetic because I'm talking about hand surgery not life threatening illness. Get out walking and with somebody if can, it really does lift your mood.

Hope you feel better soon. I didn't have all these issues with 1st hand, 7 weeks and I was back at work. After speaking to others at work who had it done, this about the average time (manual workers).

Anyway have faith, you're only 2.5 weeks in. Don't expect too much. Your hand has a lot going on in it. Be steady.

• Posted

Thanks Shelly. You're right so many people have been told different things it becomes scary reading! My wound is healing well now stitches are out and dressing is off. I've been told to do finger exercises 4 times a day but won't have a review appt until 6 weeks. The good thing is I have an automatic car so not too much clutch use. Forgot about the handbrake though! I'm taking Ibuprofen

now and I know I should be patient but the mind races ahead. Thanks for your advice. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Janet. I had my right hand done in September last year. I too had pain near my thumb and up my arm. I was recommended and bought some of ASDA brand 400mg Ibuprafen tablets, I honestly never felt a thing after taking them, and after a week I tried coming off them and the pain had gone completely. Dont rush into working it too hard it does need time to recover. With regards to driving, you need to consider if you can change gear, set the handbrake and put your seatbelt on. I was driving after my stitches were taken out, but mine was my right hand. You will feel better mentally if you control that pain you have. If you can find some of my earlier posts you will see that it took me about seven months to get a full benefit but my median nerve was very badly crushed with not getting the op done earlier.

If you read lots of other posts on here, you will come to the conclusion that no two

patient symptoms are the same. Be positive and be patient.. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Jim. I will try those tablets. It's interesting what you said about the median nerve. It's put me off having my right hand done but I know that will get worse eventually. I won't have it done until my left is back to normal, that's for sure.

I will be patient - thank you.

• Posted

Hi again Janet.

Apparently the median nerve only serves your thumb and first three fingers, the pinky finger is seperate, according to my surgeon. 

I sat up and watched the surgeon do my operation and he actually pointed out the median nerve to me. Mine was very pale, indicating that there was damage to it by being consticted for too long. It did start to get more colour after he released it at my wrist, but he did say that it would be touch and go as to whether it would recover fully. I guess that after 7 months it is about 90% recovered. I have no regrets whatsoever about having the operation and I intend having my left one done later this year.

I have always exercised my fingers from day one, but only opening and closing or touching all other fingers with the thumb. Then I gradually started to light lifting and using it, slow but sure. I also massaged the scar with Boi oil, its good inside and outside and you can hardly see a scar on my palm.

You will see the benefits soon.😄

• Posted

Hi, I was driving after 4weeks. Though if you have a automatic you could sooner. I had my left hand done so I struggled with the gears for a while.

I had my hand done just under 3mths ago and still get pain in my thumb if I over use it. My hand is stiff during the night and 1st thing in the morning , but I'm hoping in time this will go.

What you are experiencing at this stage is perfectly normal. Some people get back to normal quick. I was off work for 7weeks as was still in a lot of pain. Whilst it is a quick and simple op I also wasn't expecting the recovery to be as bad.

• Posted

Hi Janet. If you are driving a standard transmission and car without power steering you should be able to drive right now. I think you should be easily able to perform the functions of driving.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.