Carpal tunnel post op problem

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had carpal tunnel surgery seven weeks ago. Part of my hand and fingers are still swollen since surgery until now. 6 days ago i had constant numbness in my 3 fingers (middle, ring & thumb) and partly in my ring finger, there is also a small lump sitting near the incision ( before it comes and go, now its sitting there for a week) . My thumb finger is the most swollen, painful and numb from top to down. I cant still make a fist and mobility is so bad. I went to see my surgeon 2 days ago and he prescribed antibiotic 500 mg and non steroidal, anti inflammatory 10 mg. for me to take 4 times a day for 10 days. i've been taking this for 2 days already but the numbness and swollen still stay constantly as well as the little lump near the incision site. can someone help me or advise me what to do or someone having the same issue. PLEASE HELP ME. THANK YOU

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I also had my surgery about 6/7 weeks ago. I must be lucky because my hands have been fine since. the area where they cut is really sore still but no numbness anymore. I have little lumps too but im guessing its just scar tissue. I was told to try and use my fingers and hands as normal otherwise it can effect your strength and movement in the long run. Hope you get better

• Posted

thank you for your reply. my surgeon advised to stop doing physio, just continue with what i can do for now.

the thing that really bothers me are numbness and swelling for a long time

• Posted

Are you now better or worse off than before surgery ? Hank

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

Its worse. it's been seven weeks now and tomorrow is my last dose of my antibiotics. My fingers are so swollen still (worse than before) and the numbness is still constant till now. even the palm is swollen

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

Its worse. it's been seven weeks now and tomorrow is my last dose of my antibiotics. My fingers are so swollen still (worse than before) and the numbness is still constant till now. even the palm is swollen

• Posted

Shirley have you asked the surgeon if the lump on the scar is causing the issue? where are you based? will try and help . Best wishes.Sharon

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

That is what I am going to ask upon his return from his vacation on Dec. 11th.

I am base in Edmonton, Alberta . Thanks Sharon

• Posted

sorry Shirley just saw you are in Canada. can you seek advice from the surgeoun colleague ?

• Posted

I don't know any surgeon colleague. I'll try my luck in the emergency where my surgeon work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.