carpal tunnel recovery time

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I have has the nerve conduction study and need the op in both hands, first the right which is on 28th Sep. Has anyone had this surgery that is in manual work? I have just started a new job as a housekeeper and am concerned at the prospect of 6-12 weeks off. The job involves stripping and remaking up to 30 beds, wrestling with Henry (hoover) 😉 and general cleaning. For those that have had the op, how long until you felt ok to use your hand to that extent? Work have been great and said to take as long as I need and job will still be there..phew..but feel bad 😕 Like others have said, nice to read positive comments regarding surgery, after reading other posts on several sites I was contemplating whether I should go ahead.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, had the procedure today. Just wondering how much wiggling of the fingers I should be doing? Don't want to not do enough but don't want to over wiggle...so much slower typing left handed...

• Posted

Wiggle them whenever you think of it. Can't over wiggle. smile

• Posted

9 days post procedure and am very pleased with the recovery so far. The pain hasn't been as bad as I feared, apart from when I forget and go to use that hand for something I shouldn't just yet, or when I tripped and automatically saved myself with that hand..ouch. It is a relief not to be woken by the pain and pins and needles at night, although still wake from other pains but one less to worry about eh 😉 Stitches are coming out in 2 days, then will try driving. I am going to work on Fri to help out for a few hours and to see how I get on.

• Posted

I am on day 3 Bilateral. So thankful for my mom I am staying with. I've had no problems using the toilet by myself. Brushing teeth . I really rested the first 2 days and elevate and ice, ate lots of good food ....I can't nor do I wanna try pulling or pushing yet. I just keep exercises that are appropriate for right now.

• Posted

Did you choose to have both done at the same time? Iv just been referred for my left with the right in a couple of months , but it's so much time off work, I just think maybe it would be better to get it over and done with. My surgeon didn't offer me the option to do both t the same time.

vicki

• Posted

I had my surgery on right hand about 4 weeks ago..... Can use for light work, when I do use more than I should it will let you know. Still have a little swelling and soreness that feels like a bruise. Massage the small scar every day. Have full movement, didn't have any physical therapy. Just making fists, squeezing stress ball and moving hand all directions. Not certain as to when it will back full strength. Due to have my left hand done on 3/22, right now I'm saying ?? maybe I should wait..

• Posted

hi I'm a nurse and have just been referred to surgery on my left (non dominant ) hand. Obviously Im as much use as a chocolate teapot at work if I can't do certain things but I need to let work know how long I'll be off. So I guess I'm asking what the definition of light work Is? Luckily I won't be writing with that hand but what about drawing up meds etc? I guess no two handed chest compressions for a while but luckily that's not a big part of the job lol

thanks

vicki 

• Posted

I understand what you mean by being a chocolate teapot... haha. But I was able to return back to work after 3 weeks. I'm a loan processor, so it was a lot of keyboard again. Light work for me was able to help with house chores, laundry, cooking etc general things around house. But at times I would reach, grab, without thinking and you will know your limits.. just say to yourself okay I can't quite do that yet. Such opening a box of cereal (sealed bag).. but am getting more strength each day...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.