Carpal tunnel surgery 5 weeks ago still can’t put pressure on my palms

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a massage therapist and had carpal tunnel release on my right(dominant) hand 5 weeks and still can’t put pressure on my hand without pain.  I return to the surgeon today to evaluate if I am ready for the left hand to be scheduled.  I was hoping I would be a lot further along than this. I miss my workouts. I can only lift about 2 lbs with that hand and can’t do any pulling or pushing motions without pain. Twisting motions is getting better but still very painful.  I have a very high pain tolerance so haven’t take pain meds since day 2 and would prefer to avoid them. I want to get back to do at least some minor weight lifting and planks, push-ups and such my the pain is excruciating when I put full weight on my hand. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Im afraid it's a case of patience. I had mine done 6wks ago and i still get pain in the palm of my hand and pain in my wrist at times. I was advised by my physio to massage the scar sight with bio oil and gently rub it with velco to desensitize the nerves. Also use a tin of beans to excercise it. Give it time. .

• Posted

Been doing the massage with a product called rock rub that gas a lot of vitamin e oil in it. What surprises me most is tithe dr isn’t having me go to a pt. He just told me to keep working it on my own
    • Posted

We don't get sent to a physio in the UK any more , but we have a number we can ring to speak to 1 if any issues.

• Posted

I had carpal tunnel surgery 6 weeks ago. It was successful and pain free. My doctor told me to massage the palm to break up the scar tissue and less pain. So far it worked! 
  • Posted

I would not have the other hand done yet, see how this one heals

I had both mine done at the same time 5 years ago and they are both numb and pins & needles  24/7 they are so bad I need help just buttoning my clothing

• Posted

Unfortunately that isn’t an option it’s work comp so I either get it done or gone back to work as soon as the right one finishes healing....and that isn’t going to work with the amount of pain I have in the left one. Scheduled for surgery on it tomorrow 
  • Posted

I would not have the other hand done yet, see how this one heals

I had both mine done at the same time 5 years ago and they are both numb and pins & needles  24/7 they are so bad I need help just buttoning my clothing

• Posted

Have you been icing your hand/wrist? I had cts 35 years ago and learned to put my hand into a gallon jug with ice water, kept ready in the fridge. Do this for a minute or 2 anytime it hurts. Will take a few minutes to warm back up, then the pain should be gone. Not forever, but long enough to do some work. I never had surgery, i'm 65 now and i never have to ice it, but i've learned to avoid bending and twisting it a lot.

Drove my manual steering 61 vette today, no problem. Learned to use the palm of my hands when parking, rather than squeezing(ouch) the wheel.

• Posted

iced and elevation for the first couple of days then only iced when there was swelling heat promotes healing faster as it allows more blood flow to the area

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.