Carpal tunnel surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I've been suffering from CBT now for a few years. In a few weeks time I'm due to have surgery. But here in the UK the only give you a local anaesthetic before the op to numb the area. The thing is I hate injections.

Does anyone or anyone had the operation know how bad the injection is ? Ie pain ect ect

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I live in the US and I got local. It hurt for a minute or two, when the Dr first started it. And after that you don't feel ANY thing, my hand was so numb, it was amazing. There is nothing fun about surgery but the payoff is so great.

• Posted

Hi, I live in UK and had local. Agree it hurts initially but soon over then everything goes numb and you don't feel any pain.I'm 9 weeks post op and feel sooo much better. Follow instructions for aftercare and do everything you're told to do. Good luck.

• Posted

I live in the Uk. I had the local to numb it and i found it painful but not for long. Then you feel nothing. I no that some people who hate needles have had a general anesthetic, but the recovery is a bit longer. Good luck.
  • Posted

hi

i had two injections the first is very quick the other took a couple of seconds and stung a bit -  I  don't like injections but a nurse chatted to me and I didn't watch so was over before i knew although the surgeon did tell me what she was going to do -don't know if two is the usual 

• Posted

US here. I was given a local to the hand and sedated like they do for colonoscopies. I wouldnt have it any other way.
  • Posted

Hi I live in the UK and had the operation 7 weeks ago. It does sting a little, but it is only like a sharp scratch then you will feel nothing. Honestly it is worth having it done, I feel so much better now, the pain, numbness and tingling disappear within a day. Take a tip from me though and make sure you take the pain relief immediately after surgeryand will have my other hand done later in the year. . My surgeon told me to and I never felt any pain. Good luckĀ 
    • Posted

Hi all thanks for all your replies I feel much more convenient about having it done
    • Posted

Yeah, I didn't take any pain medication, the Dr said to, but it didn't hurt at the time, seemed odd. I wish I had, I woke up the next morning in a good amt of pain. I took a pain pill and an hour later took another. That was the worst of it all however. Over the next few days I only needed a couple more. Ice and elevation were the best.

• Posted

Yes nancy that is very important. Icing the hand helped a lot. I had knee surgury so I had this ice chest velcro wrap designed for the knee that I used. I was absolutely a great idea.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.