Carpal Tunnel Surgery and Recovery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ok, I just had bilateral (both hands) carpal tunnel release on Friday (April 21st). My doctor, right after recovery in post op, wanted me to start making firsts and do so every hour. He mentioned that as long as I could handle the pain there is no damage I could do internally. I thought I would use a forum to share my experience and recovery process for others thinking about surgery. I had pretty severe CTS for almost 3 years before it go so bad, that I decided to do both hands. I was a quite afraid of the surgery, not because of the procedure or possible pain, but hearing variations on recovery time. As a software engineer I don't have 4,5,6 weeks to be away from work, so hearing some of the stories on length of recovery had me concerned. My doctor (maybe a little to aggressive on the recovery) said, some of his patients are back to typing the next day after surgery and most are 7-10 days for full recovery (minus extreme heavy lifting). Alright, so here is my progress so far. Day 1- Surgery in the early morning and woke up with wrist spints on both hands. He put a nerve block in my wrist that lasts for 24-48 hours to help with the pain. I immediately felt better in both hands. The existing tingle and numbness was from the nerve block. Went home and rested all day. I made firsts whenever I was awake. I could not twist the door nob and any thing that required twisting. Day 2-Still rested in bed most of the day. Performed ligth activity with my hands, still making fists, and other light stretching. Day 3-Made it outside to do light activity, such as watering the plants and cleaning the pool with the pole. To this point I kepted the splints on with brief times where I took it off and did some stretching. That evening I took a shower and removed the dressing and washed around the stiches. I was able to do light typing, checking emails, responding and such. Day 4 (today April 24th) I took off the splints in the morning and continued more moving activties. I can twist door nobs and began to lift light weights ( I am an avid weight lifter). I started with only 8 lbs doing curls and flys, but then moved up to 25lbs for hammer curls. Too much weight on the wrist to do regular front curls. I did keep the splints on while lifting. I did drive for the first time (again, with the splints). Went to go get some groceries while my wife was at work and kids at school. I plan on taking Day 5 off, but might go to the gym and see if I can do more excercises. Day 6 I plan on going back to work. I work from home and 100% on the computer. I am obviously typing this right now and not having any issues using the keyboard. I have not read through much of the forum, so not sure if I am ahead of the curve, on par or behind, but this is my journey to full recovery. For those contemplating the surgery, I would recomend moving forward. Even though I have a couple weeks before I am back to what normal might be, just the fact that I can sleep at night, not tossing and turning shaking out my hands every hour, is totally worth it.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I also had bilateral surgery March 21. Minimal post-op pain until the exercises suggested by PT started. L side healed quickly with no difficulty. R side (my dominant) is moving much slower. Doing my exercises more than suggested and still at times have trouble twisting door knobs and lifting light-weight objects. Any resistance to my wrist gets very uncomfortable very quickly. Cutting food is still difficult. Was to return to work next week but am seeing my surgeon Wednesday for an evaluation to see if the discomfort I'm having is normal 5 weeks out. Wish both sides went like to L one.

• Posted

I am finding cutting to be difficult as well. That's unfortunate your right hand is not cooperating like you're left one. Wishing you the best in your recovery .

• Posted

Wow totally different from most I have read on here with regards to recovery.

I'm having my left hand done today. Bricking it abit and being knocked out for it as well.

I work from home and the work I do definitely requires both hands, so I too was worried about how long it would take to be able to do things

• Posted

Wishing you the best on the recovery of your left hand.
  • Posted

Wow i cant believe how much you're doing. I was told to rest rest rest for 6 weeks, then not much change within that time. I went back to see the surgeon all concerned and in a lot of pain and hrs being doing CTS for 30 years as he reminded me when I questioned his directions, rest some more but do finger exercises.

So last year I had my left done and was given conflicting information from the same surgeon and his physiotherapists. On day 3 I was changing the king size bedding with a few twinges, generally using it more than I have this time on my other hand. I can say the difference is huge. I was back at work in full swing on a very manual job.

So in my opinion I say the hand should be used way more than I was instructed although I'm not sure I'd have felt like lifting weights, which I enjoy doing also.

I'm on week 8 now and taking cocodamol regular as instructed from week 8!!! I still had swelling in the palm which he said was giving me the awful wrist pain.

You're doing really well. I was also told that nothing would have a negative impact on the surgery done so I didn't understand being told to rest it all this time.

I would definitely advise anyone to do light work with it after the stitches are out. It makes a huge difference.

Well done on your speedy recovery. I will have been off work 11 weeks total and back to work. I do get paid though. So understand your keeness to get back to normality.

• Posted

Like you I was getting conflicting information on recovery, mostly reading articles on the Internet. So needless to say I was a little bit shocked when he talked about using my hands for daily activities so quickly after the surgery. I am seeing the benefit of doing so right now and I'm trusting his expertise is accurate. I go Monday to get my stitches out. I don't know if it's normal but depending on how I move my wrist, even if I'm not lifting anything, I get sharp electricity shooting through my entire hand into my fingers. I'm hoping that's just the healing process around that median nerve.

• Posted

Yeah I had the same feeling with my left but think that was because I was using it more than was told to. It was like an elastic band pinging in my wrist. Not very pleasant.

I'm considering asking for a return to work note in a week. This week has felt much better and besides I'm going insane with not having my usual routine.

I may regret doing that haha.

I've found ibuprofen has helped a lot. Was only advised to take this afrer week 8 which I'm a tad miffed about. I should have been taking it much sooner.

• Posted

The pins and needles feeling lasted about 24-48 hours for me. I am on Day 5 and get a little tingle in one of my fingers on my right hand (dominant) now and then. It should go away fairy soon. I get electricity shooting through my hand when I hit that median nerve. Drives me crazy when it happens.
    • Posted

I am going to check and see if I can take ibuprofen now. I just have the hydrocodone, but now on day 5, I am only taking it at night. Maybe a day or two more and won't need it any more.

• Posted

Mine lasted ages this time. Did my head in. Had numbness for days on end. I got concerned as fingers felt hot and swollen. Anti inflammatory, raise and ice needed.
    • Posted

The numbness went but pain is bad today. I'm on codydramol and it's not touching it 😓. Can't get it comfortable either

• Posted

I was on paracetamol or cocodamol. Try drinking lots of water too. Keep it raised.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.