carpal tunnel surgery post op

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have bilateral carpal tunnel surgery 10 days ago.  The nerve conduction studies said left was "severe"....right was moderate.  I am right handed.

My option to have them done at the same time which has proved absolutely NO problems, my husband has helped with some things, but I'm fairly self sufficient anyway.

My complaint and I see my doctor tomorrow for stitch removal is the constant ACHE in my left hand half way up my lower left arm.  Pain medication, nothing helps.  Some massage and maybe the heating pad to a degree, but my question is has anyone else had this severe constant aching in any operative site after carpal tunnel release?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had surgery on my right hand on the 10th and I to have constant pain in my hand along with a shooting up my for arm that feels like a electric shock if that makes since an my fingers are still tingling an going numb every so often! They gave me a steroid shot in my left because it wasn’t as bad as my dominant hand An guess what it didn’t do anything other than either aggravate or me having to rely on that hand set off the CTS even worse in that hand so back in pain so gonna have another surgery!! 
    • Posted

That is what I am afraid of also, is that I will have to have the left arm re done.  My opinion is there is still some nerve pressure happening.  I know how doctor think and he will stay "give it time"..and he might be right it that there is swelling causing the pain?  But when pain medication doesn't do anything like I've taken nothing...then I'm worried and wondering what is going on?  The tingling is gone, but my finger tips are still numb, but I was warned of this pre op.  In fact he said the nerve conduction studies said the left was so bad that I may never get full feeling back and that I would not know for one year.

• Posted

Joy. "Snap". That was exactly the same as mine. I was done on 5th Sept 2016. Bad pains and numbness following surgery, but not the same pains as pre op. I took 400g ibuprafen twice daily and it sorted the pain out. Try to use your hand without overdoing it. My median nerve was very badly crushed and it took nine months to get my hand normal. You may have noticed that your pinky finger is normal. Apparently the pinky is not served by the median nerve, thats why its ok. Be patiet and keep moving your fingers, youll get there.

• Posted

I had my right hand done last September 2016. I too had terrible pains up my arm. I bought some 400 g ibuprafen tablets from asda. One before bedtime and one in the morning. Sorted me out without any ill effectes whatsoever.

good luck!! Cos it hurts.😆

• Posted

Thank you for your input.  I love hearing everyone's "story" because it does help piece together your own personal situation.  You're right, I did notice the pinky is not affected!!!  Also I have different "numbness" if that makes any sense.  I see my doctor tomorrow but he already told me I will not know the final outcome for one year and I still might have damage like you say the medial nerve was really pressured. I have a Tramadol prescription and that also helps alone with Aleve.  Thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.