Carpel tunnel experiences

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hiya. I had CT surgery to right hand 9 days ago. The advice given by the surgeon and hospital was very limited. Im just wondering whether I'm on track. Bandage was off 72 hrs post surgery, stitches due out this week. Am making progress with movement but not moving hand too much nor using it . I can bend fingers just under half way and can move hens back but not flat at all. Phumb can just meet the middle finger. Im not pushing things. It doesn't really hurt but there is the occasional stabbing pain and moreso a constant stiffness and heaviness of the hand. Mine was not 100% CTS as have similar pins and needles etc in feet. Both cane on when heavily pregnant with youngest who's know 5. Due for mri next month, makes me wonder whether him being back to back caused it. 9ln 15 baby ha. Oh, hand has tingled daily since procedure and the occasional cold hand and arm. Wondering what others experiences wete and what advice i can get for what to do and not do at this stage in recovery. Oh another, sorry, I work in administration, office, how long would you be off for this role. Predominantly computer

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I had CTS an before I had surgery for months I was in  excruciating  pain every night it got to where I just didn’t sleep because the pain was oh so bad I would literally just lay in my floor crying my eyes out An why it took so long for surgery was because it is a Work comp thing. Anyways I had surgery finally on October 10 of this year An while I was In surgery the surgeon gave me a steroid shot in my left hand which as I also showed signs of CTS but the symptoms where not as bad so he thought the shot would prolong it for awhile, well about a week after surgery long behold my left hand starts acting up just like my right side did before surgery so either me using my left so much or maybe the shot aggravated I don’t know but we are hopefully getting ready to do surgery on it! Ok back to the right after surgery I had the same tingling, pains that actually felt like an electric shock going from my wrist up my arm and with it being a month after surgery I still can’t use my right hand an it is my dominant hand I can’t write, twist a lid off, pick up a jug of tea anything that consists of grasping pretty much brings me to my knees an crying because it hurts so much! I would recommend if at all possible listen to ur doctor use that hand as little as possible because u will definitely be feeling it an know you have over did it, with me I am a single mother so it’s kinda hard for me not to do things An my left hand is useless! As far as when to go back to work geez I am going on a little over a month an my work won’t let me come back till I’m 100% absolutely no restrictions so it could be 2 maybe 3 months depends on how quickly you heal. You know it might be a simple procedure but geez it’s rough an hurts!
    • Posted

Wow! That sounds really painful, hopefully it eases a little for you soon enough. Mine isn't as painful as yours from the sounds of it, the tingling and a weied fuzzy feeling through hand is frustrating but tolerable. I get stabbing through the grizzly part underneath phumb and to the left of palm and occasionally through fingers but nothing that can't live with. Im sleeping which is good, i was the same with sleepless nights but tbh my legs/ get were worse for a short while. I haven't been using it, I've tried to hold small items like a mascara obly because i don't want to lose the ability to grip or for it affect htge length of time it take to get back to normal. Last couple of days my arm and front side of hand feel cold butt tips of fingers ok, probably just the fact that haven't used it for a while. I mostly type and trying to mimic typing to see what hand will do, i doubt very much ill new typing 70 wpm any time soon. You're right, obly when you lose the use do you see how reliant you are on and difficult it is to lose a hand. Hope your second op goes well and that you get it all sorted soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.