Carpel Tunnel Revision

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All, I am due to have the revision done after having previous successful CTR over 20 years ago. Has anyone else had this done? My hand is not painful just goes numb and tingling all the time. Had it for over a year and nothing has made it better. Also what was your recovery time and when did you go back to work? Surgeon said I need 6 weeks off of work but I don't get paid as I work for a small company so that is a concern too.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It's rare but true recurrence after 20+ years of symptom freedom after surgery does occur - curiously enough I saw a patient with exactly this story this afternoon. Treating it is very similar to treating it the first time, though technically a little more difficult because of the old scar tissue. Many surgeons prefer to do these under general anaesthetic. Recovery time should be similar to a first time around operation ie 1-6 weeks depending on how fast you heal and how much you want to do with the hand. The problem should be documented with NCS before they take a knife to it and, if available locally, ultrasound imaging can often confirm that there is recurrent compression of the nerve and show where it is - it's not always at the 'usual' CTS site in recurrent cases. It's a few years since I made  particular study of second time operations and it's probably about time I looked at the topic again. Dr J Bland

• Posted

Hi Jeremy, sorry I was not notified of your response. I have had the ultrasound and nerve conduction tests done. Surgeon said he would like to do it under a general if no risk to me if possible. so will wait and see.

​Still waiting for my date to go in!

• Posted

So that is pretty much as I said - did they show you the ultrasound images? I've had another patient with pretty much the same story this morning - recurrence at 25 years after the original operation JB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.