Carrying Medication on holiday

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've decided to go to Greece for a little holiday. I'm all set and hoping the lack of stress will make all my symptoms disappear ha.

But I've just remembered I need my gaviscon and I don't know if I can take the bottle on the flight or if I can buy the product in Greece.

Anybody help?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You can take the gaviscon chewable tablets? But I'm sure they'll sell gaviscon at the airport.
  • Posted

Normal rules say liquids in no more than 100ml bottles. The small size gaviscon liquid is 150ml so it wouldn't be allowed unless you had a n accompanying doctor's note to say you needed it. Or you could decant some into a smaller bottle?

When I used to get raging heartburn I tried taking a bottle through once (on a trip to Greece) and it was removed at security but I bought some at the pharmacy in the airport shops.

• Posted

Thank you.

So when you say in the airport do you mean after security checks or just in the general shopping area

• Posted

If you are regularly taking Gaviscon you need to see your doctor as you probably need a prescription medication to control your reflux. I took Gaviscon for years, the PPI iworks so much better than Gaviscon and most importantly heals your insides from all the damage the acid is causing, 
    • Posted

I was on a prescription for gaviscon extra but it causes me to have frequent bmi but if I stick to the alginate one without the acid control it works just as well without the side effect.

Although when I say it works just as well I mean it soothes my burning throat for about an hour. I usually chew gum if if it starts to bother me. The doctors don't seem to think it's a serious problem so I just manage it from day to day.

They suggested omeprazole but I've not seen anyone at all on the Internet who doesn't feel worse or no benefit. Of course I'm talking about ĹPR not heartburn.

I do wonder if permanent damage might occur but in general my symptoms are less frequent and less severe but they have not gone away.

There's lots of very dramatic stuff on the Internet but doctors seem to think it's trivial so I don't know what to think really.All I know is that until 18 months ago I had no symptoms and now they're a daily occurrence so I wonder what could have changed.

My consultant just said Take Gaviscon or you'll be back.

I presume he meant the over the counter one because he didn't give me a prescription nor did he tell me to ask my GPS for one.

• Posted

Sorry it should say frequent bm not bmi. How smart is my smartphone. And of course I mean bowel movements.
    • Posted

I've reread your post. Can I ask you what your symptoms were and how you know that healing has occurred.
    • Posted

Gaviscon Advance was actually a bit of a con trick played by Reckitt Benkiser 20 or so years ago. They had a deal with NHS to rpovide it under prescription at a special price. However as the medication was about to go out of copyright, RB introduced the Advance formulation, temptorarily stopping the ordinary formulation and told NHS in future they had to prescribe Advcance to take advantage of the special discount. They then cntinued with the ordinary formulation which most people find works well.

RB had also trademarekd "algiinate" so there was no generic name for equivalent versions. Advance formula is also now out of copyright and NHS is relieved of its obligations - so they are likely to prescribe Peptac (which is identical but cheaper. Most of the supermarkets have their own brand versions, too - often called "Heartburn relief liquid".

• Posted

Hi Peter, you can get gaviscon in handy sachets.. I don't buy bottles anymore.. I get Gaviscon Double Action. They come in box of 12 I think it is and last time I travelled they were no problem coming through security with, have a great holiday :-)
    • Posted

Thank you and how nice to say that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.