Cartiva

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am having the Cartiva implant done in about 3 weeks.   They make it sound like the recovery process is not bad, but reading some of the responses make it sound like it could be weeks before the pain goes away and you are able to get around.   I had resisted the fusion for the past 5 years and was thrilled to hear about Cartiva.   Can anyone tell me about their experience?   Thank you. 

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I fused my right hand middle finger 2 years ago due to arthritis and it took 8 months for me to feel normal again. All healing takes time. It wont hurt it just wont feel normal. The body has to adjust and swelling needs to go down. Its like that in any surgery you have. Even a root canal and crown.  It takes time to adjust to all changes. 
  • Posted

Hi Gemma it did take awhile until I could wear my own shoes.  i started by wearing my crocs because they were wider and didn't hit my scar area.  But eventually I fit into my gym shoes again. I wear asics because they have netting in the toe base and I could cut a little hole where the scar is so it didnt rub.  I started walking again at 3 weeks post op.  But I have mortons extensions in my shoes which I had pre op. They are basically steel plates that go under the soles of the shoes. That way when I walk my toe didn't bend too much and it didnt hurt. I am 10 weeks post op and back to walking 3 miles a day all in a row and about 2 miles a day while at work.

• Posted

I had the procedure done 5 days ago and I am 69 yrs old. Bone spurs were removed as well as having the Cartiva implant done. I have been doing great. Never took the prescribed drugs, never had to ice, did not get put into a boot, just have a velcro hard sole shoe. I sit in my recliner whenever possible with my foot raised. I could move my big toe right away. In the doctor's report, he put 30% movement after implant. Surgery was on Wed, and I was driving already on Friday. Went to the grocery store, etc. I go back to the doctor a week from today and can give you an update then. I have crutches, and realized I need to use them once in awhile when getting somewhere is a longer distance. I also got a temporary disability parking pass for a month.  

• Posted

Hi

i had the op in the uk now 6 weeks ago and it’s very painful. 

I can just get into a trainer but it’s hard. 

I need to keep pushing through the pain barrier hoping it will get better. 

I will report again in a couple of days. 

• Posted

Hi,

it’s now 10 weeks and my toe is still very painful. 

Something tells me I need to keep pushing to get better. 

It makes a big difference on what shoes you wear. 

I still get swelling after walking

i can’t see an end to this but hey hoe I will push on. 

Kevin

• Posted

Three months and 10 days past surgery and still in pain. They made it sound like 4 to 6 weeks recovery. No way, had it at Cleveland clinic and still not good,
  • Posted

Hi Gemma0827

I had a Cartiva implant surgery 4 weeks ago, feels like longer but as my wife keeps reminding me its only a short while. The op was day surgery and walked out wearing a boot, I had a general anaesthetic means you don't feel any pain. I was given some strong pain killers, but to be honest the pain was moderate, I only took paracetamol for a week and nothing after that. I have been doing all the toe stretches and each day it improves, still find the up bend a struggle but improving and this after just 4 weeks, walking short spells is ok , but nothing too much 10m- 15m max . Full up motion in a normal foot is around 60 degrees, I had none before the op as bone spurs had all but stopped that. I have watched in these last 4 weeks go from nothing to now 20-25 degrees, so happy so far. I did do a video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yooD6MoGP4 to let folk see what recovery would like. I have a doctors visit early Dec where Xrays will be done and assessment etc, I will add another video then.

Good luck with your toe

Phil.

• Posted

I am 8 weeks post op. Ican hardly bend my toe up and not at all down. Iam in constant pain. I cannot even let a sheet touch my foot. Random and frequent electric shock like feelings that hurt like crap . Swelling on top and on the bottom and it kinda feels numb when I step down with nothing on it like getting in the shower . The color on the bottom is a pale pinkish purple and the top is still a purplish red . This surgery has caused me so much stress and anxiiety from not being able to do anything I just can't properly describe how much this had impacted me and my family. I have 6 kids and a husband who needs me and I just can't keep up. I really think if we have hot dogs for dinner one more time because I can't stand long enough to cook something good my family will put me out. Horrible !

• Posted

had cartiva twoyears ago. wish i did the infusion. can bend my toe to wear heels nut i suffer the next day. pain on and off

• Posted

Hi

I am now 2 years post op. You will never be pain free and its worst in the winter.

I can play golf but with pain and after its very painful until it settles down.

Kevin

• Edited

How are you getting along now with your implant? Is it in your big toe only?

I have severe pain in both of my big toes from arthritis. So severe I can only walk about 10 minutes before its to painful and I then shuffle around like a drunk with a clubfoot. 😦

I have had a Cheilectomy on both toes and the result was, there was no result other than the toes got worse.

I am terrified to have my toes fused. I do not know why, I just am.

So when I heard of Cartiva I was very intrigued.

How are you doing now - was it worth it? Is the pain gone, can yo bend your toe normally, etc?

• Posted

hi

my issue is i had no pain in my big toe to start with

however if you have so much pain now i would reccommend getting it done

no i cannot fully bend my toe its painfull but i can walk for miles

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.