Cartiva after failed metal fusion

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone had success with Cartiva after having a failed fusion with metal plates and screws? I am in Columbus, Oh and have had two unsuccessful procedures at Ohio State University. I am considering Cartiva and am looking for new doctor in the Columbus area or Ohio. Also, any feedback or recommendations from anyone having this procedure after unsuccessful fusion would be greatly appreciated. I feel like my options are limited after two failed procedures.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi denise...although my condition differs from yours, i have ehlers danlos syndrome, i too have just experienced a failed fusion. Basically, with ehlers danlos, i have really weak joints (among other struggles). I have horrible bunions, and had surgery sept 15. My dr thought fusing my foot with screws would hold. It...didnt. My entire surgery failed. I am heartbroken. I just had one of the screws surgically removed in an emergency surgery. It broke and was breaking through the side of my foot. I am at a loss. My doctor (i live in manitoba, canada, i should say) has given me three alternatives. None of which comfort me. The first is to put metal plates in my foot, but if the screws didnt hold...🙁

The second is to (I'm going to get this wrong, i just know it....im sorry. My head was swimming) but involves using another material and all i remember is that he told me it would look like a claw. 😕 the third option is to take bone from another part of my body and put it in my foot....but i dont think i want that, either.

I'm so afraid. I am....i was....a really active person. I'm 43. And in such pain. I was in a cast 7 months for the surgery. And, it didn't work. 😥 I don't know if any of this helps, but I can honestly say i know how you feel. Hang in there. 🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.