Cartiva done 2 days ago - some advice for all...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. I was following another discussion about the Cartiva implant that was started a year ago and wanted to begin a new thread. I had my implant done on Feb 27, 2018. The procedure itself was uneventful - I was asleep and my doctor did give me three shots once I was out to numb my foot. The first night was fine - I did take the Norco for pain and iced. Yesterday, as the numbness starting wearing off, my toe was very sensitive - took more painkillers and iced. This morning, pain was unbearable. I could not even walk in the big boot. Called the doctor and went in. Turns out the nurses did not give me the right directions for fitting the boot to my foot and leg. The hard plastic goes on the outside, not the inside (which is what the nurses directed my husband to do!) So silly, yet it made a huge difference in my comfort level. Doctor rebandaged me and told me to cut back on the Norco and replace it with ibuprofen, since Norco is an opioid. Just having the boot fit better has relieved so much of my pain. I bought a stool softener, too since the drugs do tend to stop you up. I have the shoe boot now, too that I can wear when I drive, as long as I am off the opioids. So, day three (today) is shaping up to be much better. The shoe boot is way more manageable, but the big leg boot provides the cushioning and more support. Be sure you wear a running shoe or a shoe that is the same height as the boot. I know from experience - had my other foot done years ago with a titanium pin inserted - that you can really throw your hips and back off if you are not "even" when walking. Also, drinking a ton of water, staying away from sugar and getting as much rest as you can really helps. All in all, I would say, except for the boot mixup - this will be an easier recovery than my last surgery with the pin. Feel free to reach out if you have questions. I would recommend the implant if you are a candidate, now that I have one of each! I am seriously thinking about having the pin removed and redoing my other foot with Captiva. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi lorjie-

I had my Cartiva April 2nd.

You are a couple of months ahead, wondering how your toe is doing?

I'm 14 weeks, and still have pain with every step and the scar is still very sensitive. I stretch the hell out of it, but walking is a different story.

I have zero resting pain which is a miracle, so I'm thankful for that, however, wondering if you are able to move forward with zero walking pain?

I have been in PT since the 2nd week, getting the swelling down at first, and now strength exercises like balancing and trying to stand on my toes.

Still so painful. How is your tootsie now? I'm curious how people are doing/ healing..?

• Posted

I am not doing well. My foot is still swollen, I cannot wear a regular shoe and I have pain when I walk. The scar is not numb, but the bump is still  there and is painful on the outer edge of my big toe. No way I can walk more than a block and I cannot wear regular shoes. I went to 14 sessions of PT and my therapist told me there is nothing more he can do for me. I cannot stand on my toes or move laterally without pain. I am very disappointed and angry at my doctor. She has given me very bad advice. I did have a cortisone shot 4 weeks ago. Very little relief of the pain. I took an Rx for inflammation - finished the entire bottle - still swelling. Ice daily, wear a compression sock every single day, baby my foot and still pain and swelling. She told me to get a hard carbon orthotic - I did so and the pain was unbearable, even tho I wore it for only a few hours for an entire week. I  do not recommend this surgery to anyone, despite the fact that there is a supposed 90% success rate. Several of us in this group are considering a class action lawsuit. Wish I had a better news. Maybe your recovery will be better than mine. I hope so.
    • Posted

Lorjie,

Dang!!! I was hoping you were going to tell me it was great.

That is so disappointing, I'm sorry. I too am so frustrated. I know every damn step is pain! It's a battle every day. Dr. keeps saying its the scar tissue. But I am in the pool every day walking and standing on my toes in agony stretching and even kicking in the pool hurts and the scar is so sensitive like yours! I cannot believe your Dr. said a hard orthotic!!!!! No way in hell! Only heavenly soft anything on the bottom of a sandal or shoe. I have purchased so many cute tennis shoes, to only want to get it off ASAP. The only thing that helps me is the ALTRA ugly running shoe.

As I said, I am thankful for no resting pain, that was horrific. I take Meloxicam for the anti-inflammatory, I keep trying to go off of it, but the toe hurts worse. It seems this implant has a more negative outcome.

Every single day is a test, where to park, how far is it to walk, is there a hill, even the gas petal hurts sometimes..etc. etc. I work standing at Target part time. I can only last until I can barely walk! I come home, and put on the electric mini massager like they have at PT. I am going to another Dr. next week too. God, I wonder if it will ever get better??? I'll keep you posted if this Dr. has anything different to say. Also, I am starting a different PT place. I might do a cortisone shot too...Keep in touch! Best!!!

• Posted

HI, I Just read your cartiva experience and was wandering how your recovery is going?

I have had the Cartiva implant in the Uk 9 weeks ago, and i now have more pain in the toe than i did before surgery.

Kind regards

Paul

• Posted

HI, I Just read your cartiva experience and was wandering how your recovery is going?

I have had the Cartiva implant in the Uk 9 weeks ago, and i now have more pain in the toe than i did before surgery.

Kind regards

Paul

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.