Cartiva - Has anyone had it?

Posted , 157 users are following.

I'm looking looking at looking at getting looking at getting this. Anyone with experience here?

4 likes, 836 replies

836 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

So glad to find this group.  I saw a Cartiva story on the news and am flying to Duke next month for a surgery consult (I live in Arkansas).  I'm approved for Cartiva and appreciate all the updates on recovery.  I'm trying to plan it for a time that might fit with my work schedule.   No driving for a couple of months?  I'm going to drive my husband crazy! smile But this is very helpful, with regard to setting expectations.  I am very very hopeful about getting ROM back in this toe.

• Posted

No driving for 3-4 weeks at most if it is your right foot. Good luck!
    • Posted

i was able to drive when i was able to walk with a regular shoe.  so i didn't drive for 2 1/2 weeks.  then i bought some shoes that were a bigger size and didn't rub on my foot. wore a bandage over my incision to protect it from rubbing on the shoe.  You can't drive if you are wearing the boot, so i would say 2-3 weeks at least.

• Posted

I was able to start driving week 3 as soon as I was out of the heel bearing shoe. It feels weird driving with a frozen toe that doesnt move but I am getting used to it. 
  • Posted

Hi! I am interested in this new procedure and noticed that you previously had a cheilectomy. I had a cheilectomy about 6 1/2 years ago. My toe is starting to act up again. I heard about the Cartiva and started researching it. I read that it couldn't be done if a cheilectomy was already done. Did your doctor say anything about that to you? Could you tell me the name of your doctor and his location? Are you feeling better? 

• Posted

Hi Michael,

I did have a Cheilectomy in Dec 2015. My doctor did dicuss this and due to it partially, had to do some of the repair work mentioned in my earlier posts. My Cheilectomy shaved off arthritic bone from the side of the metatarsal head so there wasn't as much left as my doctor would like, so a bone graft was done there to support it.

So even having done a the cheilctomy so recently, it seems that a Cartiva is possible.

My doctor (and I) live in Canada, so let me know if you're still interested.

Make sure you read the study that was recently published (July 2016) that compares Cartiva to MTP fusion.

My foot is coming along and feeling better everyday. I'm walking in my boot mostly without crutches and no toe pain yet. The nerves act up and the TMT fusion are currently the only pain I have, and it's very minor As long as I do the prescribed physio and don't push it too far I'm very pleased. (Did this once and the tmt began react, but after a week it was fine again).

Oh and I'm at week 7 today.

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't know where I am going with this because my other big toe is also acting up. It was getting bad before the cheilectomy on my left big toe in December 2010, i think because I was favoring my left foot due to the pain. Once I had the surgery. My left big toe, the pain in the right big toe subsided substantially. Now, both toes are starting to throb although the right toe throbs more. Thanks for your help with regard to a doctor, but I live in the U.S.  I actually read in other posts about a really good doctor in the city that I live in. I want to wait out the summer, but plan to see him in the fall. I am a bit discouraged that i am having symptoms again in the Chielectomy toe after 5 1/2 years. I am active and don't want fusion, but I am concerned about the longevity of Cartiva. I am overweight and wonder if that could have an affect on what is going on with my toes. 

• Posted

Hi Michele,

51/2 yrs is fairly good for results of the Cheilectomy, from what I've read. My understanding of the Cheilectomy is that it's just a short-term fix for the arthritis that continues to get worse in your toe despite the surgery.

From what I've read, many things have an effect on our MTP joints. The amount of pressure we put on it is very high, especially if your active and putting a lot of pounding on it. While only my guess, based on foot mechanics, I imagine it's possible that weight is a factor, but I don't remember reading that anywhere. There are many people that have this issue that are not overweight, so....your doctor is the best one to ask.

Look forward to hearing about how it goes.

• Posted

Hi krista did you h ave cartiva 9 months ag o? You said you walked out if revovery?
    • Posted

Hi Trish,

I I had more than just the cartiva so I'm not not a good comparison. I had 2 other procedures at the same time that required 6 screws in 2 areas. So I wasn't allowed to weight bear for 2 weeks at all.

• Posted

I was told after my cheilectomy ( a year prior) that I should be able to walk out, but I was too out of it. My foot was well nerve blocked so I can see where that might be possible. I was not able to weight bear for over 2 weeks due to pain, but my cheilectomy was botched, so not a fair comparison. I wish you the best of luck and remember to do your research about your procedure and your surgeon. Always get multiple opinions. Ask lots of questions. I wish you the best and look forward to seeing your posts of your journey.
  • Posted

Hi Krista,

I am 27 years old, and am a week post-op from Cartiva implant/Chielectomy. When I went in for my check up with the doc yesterday, he almost seemed concerned at the loss of motion in my toe and said I need to immediately start walking on it and doing home exercises. The home exercises are excruciating to the point that I don't even think I can do them right because I can't get past the pain, and when I walk, I can't put full weight on my big toe because I'm still bandaged up and my gait is off. Any advice to help make the process a little more bearable? Feeling like I'm failing at it right now rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Christine,

Since I had a fusion of the tmt I was in a cast for 16 days, so my experience is different. I didn't start the toe exercises until the 18th day post-op.

It sounds like rosayln's experience might be more similar to your own.

I'm sorry I couldn't help.

• Posted

Hi Christine, 

I had my Cartiva operation done in the UK, 5 days ago. At the moment I only had my dressing changed by my doctor and he advised me to keep my leg lifted 90%+ of the time to reduce swelling. I will have stitches removed only next week. I am surprised your doctor advised advanced toe excercises and walking. I only do soft exercises on my pillow (such as moving my foot, lifting legs once an hour, a bit of walking) just to bring some nutrients to heal the wound. I also drink more of my protein shakes as it helps with wounds healing. I hope you are feeling better now than when you wrote this post. If I can recommend something don't do more than your body allows you to. Listen to your body as it heals at its own time. Take care of yourself. 

• Posted

Hi Ellan, 

How's your progress? Could you please indicate where and who in the UK did your procedure? Was it covered by the NHS? If not, how much does it cost? Thanks so much.

• Posted

Hi Nicholas,

I feel absolutely fantastic. Thank you for asking. I had it done in London Independent Hospital in Stepney Green. The consultant is fantastic.

He removed the stitches last Monday i.e. after 10 days from the operation, the swelling is almost gone and today I went for quite a long walk. Obviously now I need to take it easy and I need few physiotherapy appointments. The whole process shall take about 5 weeks but I did not experience pain as other users described in the forum. Maybe moderate pain for a couple of days. 

I will send you a private message with contact details as I am not sure if I shall make it public in a forum, even though I very happy with the outcome. 

More updates to follow for those who are looking to have it done. 

• Posted

at 2-3 weeks i was having quite a bit of pain too. i am 2 months out tomorrow and the range of motion has really improved and the pain has gone down....although i'm still having much more pain than i thought i would have.  hang in there!

• Posted

Hi hi again! I was reading your comment to Christine and I am confused about something you wrote. You said that you had a "fusion" of your tmt. I thought you had a Cartiva. Am I not understanding what you wrote in your posts? I just want to understand what you actually had done. Thanks. 

• Posted

Hi Michele,

I had a tmt fusion also known as a Lapidus. I read that some doctors are doing this procedure for hallux Rigidus of the Big toe. It's not a fusion of the MTP joint but the joint above that. The bone on the foot side of the MTP joint is called the Tarametatarsal(TMT). I had that bone shortened and fused at the joint above the MTP to make more room(space) at the MTP joint. My doctor felt that my foot would benifit most with the addition of this procedure to the Cartiva.

Unfortunately, the recovery from the tmt fusion is much longer than the cartiva(12 weeks). 4 screws in the TMT joint. Cast for 2 weeks, then  a walking boot for the following 10. PT for the toe started much later than most on here.

I have virtually no pain in my toe but I'm just starting to walk outside the boot in the last few days. I'll be 10 weeks in 2 days.

• Posted

Hi Ellan,

Sounds great, I'm on Day 2 after cartiva, chielectomy and revised Akin, and the pain has reduced significantly from Day 1 (after the nerve block ran out).

I'm am mostly weight bearing, obviously very tentatively and in a black NHS sandal.

My consultant was fantastic and had mine done at Ashford hospital, so think we had the same consultant as I'm sure he works where you had yours done too!!

So far I'd highly recommend this procedure to anyone with Hallux Rigidus!!

I'm going to keep a recovery diary as well.

Cheer

David

• Posted

Hi Dave

I am scheduled for the same three things you list tomorrow.  The akin is the bone shortening.  I am told I will be off my foot totally for two weeks.  I am wondering how the pain and swelling was from all theee things? I have quite a big bone spur as well.  Fingers crossed.  

• Posted

Hi Dave,

Did you have your procedure done through the NHS?  You mentioned it in

your post.  I was not sure if this is available yet on NHS so just thought I'd ask.

Thank you.

• Posted

How are you doing now Christine?  I had this done 3 1/2 weeks ago and I am feeling the same way you did.  I go back next week and HOPING I get transitioned into tennis shoes.....but the stiffness in my toe is almost unbearable.  My Dr. didn't send me home with any type of PT and I've tried to walk correctly, but still roll my foot out because my big toe is so stiff and painful.  I sure hope you are having better results now.

• Posted

Hi Ellan, ive been reading this thread as i am interested in Cartiva. I am based in uk and wondered if you would pm the details of the surgeon who did your op. 

Many thanks. 

• Posted

I had bilateral Cartiva/chielectomy.  I had an orthopedic surgeon do my surgery, not a podiatrist.  They told me I could not weight bear for three weeks.  At my three week appointment they told me to wait another 3 weeks to fully weight bear because they had to break my toes at the top joint to straighten them (I had fallen last May and broke both toes).  I have a staple in one and a screw in the other.   My surgery was 1/2/18.  I asked for a script to get PT at my 6 week appointment.  They felt I should wait awhile but I wanted to start.  You are NOT behind.  There is a wide variance of what surgeons tell you regarding post-op care and procedures.  Don't do anything that puts you in excruciating pain.  I was told it takes up to 6 months to really feel better.  There is a lot of swelling in the foot that lingers and makes things more difficult.  You should try to keep your foot above your nose and ice a lot after your big bandages come off.  You can ice behind your knee now and it will help while wearing the bandages.  I felt I got a little better each day.  Everyone heals at a different level.  You are young so be patient.  You should heal quicker than I did since I'm more than twice your age.  There is a facebook group on Cartiva you might want to join to get more help and information.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.