Cartiva Implant for Hallux Rigidus With Chelectomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Discussing surgery and recovery with other patients who have had this "combination" surgery.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

If anyone had has this surgery, I would love to discuss.  It's been almost 7 weeks since surgery and I am having  some good and some not so good symptoms.  Please contact if you have had this surgery and if you want to share.  Thanks. 

• Posted

I had the Cartiva implant and chelectomy today for Hallux Rigidus and a bone spur. I have felt good since I fully came out of the anaesthesia. My surgery was performed under general anesthesia and a nerve block on my foot. Hospital procedure delivered me to my car in a wheelchair. I walked in the “boot” after that, only on my heel. I am using a cane just for assurance (it is my husband’s from back injury). No pain at all. My doctor wants me to keep my foot elevated and also iced for 10-15 minutes each hour. I can get up and walk around a little each hour. I started pain meds and Anti-inflammatory as soon as I got home because I have a spine injury andthat I take Ultracet and Meloxicam everyday.

Surgery performed by Dr Korpinen at Premiere Foot & Ankle Care in Frisco/Mckinney TX. He is highly recommended and regarded Podiatrist. His expectation is that I will be out of the boot and in an athletic shoe when they take the stitches out on day 12. He will give me a driving shoe on my first follow up on the 27th. I am planning to go to work that day. I’m in an office job and it will be a very quiet 3 days during the week. My husband and I are going to a Brooks & Dunn concert on New Years Eve.

I will keep updating as to my progress.

General health is okay, not excellent. I have well controlled HBP and am on a CPAP for sleep apnea and am over weight. My spine issues are due to a very bad fall off of a step ladder last year. Before my toe surgery I was walking 1 - 2 miles on 5 to 6 days a week and I am looking forward to starting back up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.