Carvedilol

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all, anyone have any side affects from this drug.  My doctor wants to use this to bring my pressure down.   Top number running in the 160s over 115s.    I ended up in emergency, blurry vision, slurred speech, dizziness.  All symptoms cleared up by the time i reached hospital.       Test result- 1st called it TIA then decided it was a stroke but mild.  No effect   On speech, eyesight, or movement.  All info appreciated.  Dr wants me to also take statins, baby aspirin , and blood thinners.   Tot cholesterol 263, Trig 63; HDl 63; LDL 188; VLDL 12 & LDL/HDL ratio 3. 

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I have been on Carvedilol for many years. And as of lately I've noticed some nights I have insomnia . It doesn't always happen the minute I put my head down on my pillow my brain will not shut off. And although they say if you don't have side effects right away it's probably not the medication I don't believe that at all because sometimes it takes maybe years it builds up in your system and this is what happens I have weakness in my legs leg cramps pain horrible it's not as bad as amlodipine which is the worst of worst and I take that

Report Reply
    • Posted

Thanks, Chris.  ....really appreciate your feedback. ...started back up on carvedilol about. 2 Days ago.  Will let you know how it goes. 

I also had side affects from Amlodipine so I can relate to your comments.  Im so thankful I’m no longer taking it.  

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi, My major side effect was digestive issues. The side effects slowly took over so I did not realize that the pain under my left breast was radiating from near my stomach was caused from taking Amlodipine for over 10 years.  Other side  effects I experienced were a feeling like a knot in my lower and upper intestine (now I think it was causing major constipation thus the knot feeling) burning in stomach, neck/shoulder pain, burning in left arm, and in center of chest.  In fact, the pain cause my doctor to think it was my heart so I had a heart cath but there was no problem with my heart. I started a discussion on Amlodipine if you may want to check that out for more details of my journey with Amlodipine.      
      Report Reply
    • Posted

We delete content if it doesn’t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

• Posted

Well, as far as the Carvedilol goes, a beta blocker alone is not typically a very effective BP drug.  Did you also have tachycardia - pulse rate over 120?  Beta blockers are better for that.  In the US we typically are prescribed at least two or three BP meds for anything like your numbers - if those numbers persist.

If the high numbers do not persist, then the beta blocker is probably meant more to calm you down than to address the BP directly.  And for all I know, that might be a good thing, you might be the better judge there.

Your LDL is too high of course, but just tossing on the statin is not an automatic fix.  Need to look into your diet too.  And if you take the statin I hope they also advised you to take CoQ10 supplement as well.  But that's all outside of this list's topics!

Report Reply
    • Posted

We delete content if it doesn’t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

• Posted

I agree with what you said about BP drugs usually prescribed more as a 'calm down"...slow the heart a little because of anxiety, etc. Once the heart slows, the bp comes down, but the drug alone is not enough to reduce elevated bp. 

Here in Canada, doctors will prescribe a 'start off' medication...but with numbers as high as what has been written here, they would most likely prescribe a med along with a diuretic, then increase things when/if needed. It's better to titrate upwards than to start off too high thereby putting the patient at risk for side effects., which can make them feel worse than the ailment itself.

Report Reply
  • Posted

Also to address your question, beta blockers as a class have some mild side effects, from increased dreaming to higher blood glucose, but carvedilol is one of the newer ones and is supposed to be better, I think.

For the most part they work pretty clearly, too, you don't have to take it and wonder if anything is happening. But a small dose is often enough, while a large dose may calm you a little too much, seem unnatural.

Report Reply
  • Posted

You asked for reactions to Amlodipine. It made my legs swell. I now take Candesartan with no problems. But your diastolic certainly does need to come down and youshould tke your docs advice for a while anyway and see if it works.
    Report Reply
    • Posted

sue42907...leg swelling is a very common side effect of Amlodipine; especially the higher doses, i.e.10mg & upward. Yes, swelling can occur even with the 5mg. You are now on Candesartan which is an ARB., whereas the Amlodipine is a Calcium Channel Blocker. Glad you've found something that's working.

Report Reply
  • Posted

Update since I started Carvedilol:  I believe that Carvedilol causes weight gain and increases glucose.   Since starting this drug less than 1 week, (1st dosages of drug on Thursday 30 Aug) I have gained 6 pounds.  Even more concerning, my morning glucose reading was 123mg/dl.   My morning glucose readings before this drug were 102 or less.  I really need to find a healthier solution to this BP problem.  I know that increase in weight and higher blood sugar can lead to worse problems and even more meds.  Has anyone experienced any of these effects?
    Report Reply
    • Posted

@Mesirm, yes, I noticed my beta blocker atenolol raised by BG by ten points or more. 

You want to try something that might help - licorice!  Even a very tiny amount, and you shouldn't ever eat a *lot* of licorice because it has an ingredient that causes problems.  But go out and get just one black licorice whip (make sure the variety you get actually contains licorice, some use anise instead!), or even some tea that has licorice as an ingredient, and see if that doesn't undo the beta blocker effect on your BG.  Then if you like it you can get some "deglycyrrhizinated" licorice without the carbs, and that seems to mostly help, too.

If Carvedilol is also causing you weight gain, I guess that is not unknown for beta blockers but you might try reducing your dosage.  I take 1/4 of the lowest dose of atenolol, and that's plenty for me.

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up