Cast and stitches removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I broke my ankle two weeks last Monday in two places and Have a plate and screws fitted.

I'm due back at the hospital to have the stitches removes and the cast replaced.

What should I expect? Will it be painful? Will I have an X-ray and will I have a fibreglass cast?

Thanks in advance x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

No it shouldn't be painful.they might take your cast off and put another on. They use a small saw and cut both sides and it should come off easily, don't be alarmed it don't hurt at all..stitches shouldn't hurt.Good Luck it will be ok smile

• Posted

Hi

I had similar injury in October having the stitches out was uncomfortable but did not hurt. I had an ex ray and then a fibre glass plaster after the 2 weeks. This was on for 6 weeks and had to remain non weight bearing while this was on. I then went into a moon boot for 3 weeks and started physio. Ive still got a long way to go and it is a long and frustrating process to recovery but you will get there. Good luck

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your reply.  Have they given you a rough date for when you can drive/go back to work?
  • Posted

Hi Tina,

I had my cast removed 2 weeks ago and I was sent for an X-ray once it was removed. It wasn't painful to have the cast removed and I can't advise on stitches I'm afraid because mine are the dissolving type.

I was put in to a boot for 4 weeks from this point and told I have to be non-weight bearing but can take it off to shower and do exercises to get my ankle moving.

Feel free to message as you're only a couple of weeks behind me so I may have already gone through some of the things you might wonder about.

Wishing you a speedy recovery smile

• Posted

Hi Tina

It is my left ankle and I was given the OK to drive about 9 weeks post op. I had my op on 14th Oct and can currently drive better than I can walk still need both crutches outside the house in the house can manage with non when shuffling round. I have had 3 physio sessions so far and I have been advised to be off work until the end of Jan when I next see the consultant. I must admit I had thought once physio started I would make more progress. This is my experience and everyone heals at different speeds. From reading a lot of posts on different forums the general consensus seems to be it takes time and patience the second I have little of. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.