Cast finally off!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey!

So i had a Scarf Akin Ostiotomy on the 16th sept!

I have finally got my cast off today! So far i havent been able to walk or put pressure on my foot! Only the heel... foot is very sore! Very swollen, and where the stitches were (in three places), are very sore....

But overall, its not very painful! Just sore and swollen!

From the looks of things the surgery went very well! My big toe is now straight with the bunion gone! The bunionette on my little toe is gone! (They also removed tissue from my second toe, im not too sure why)

They gave me like a weird looking flat shoe, which i havent actually seen before! Its not very comfortable!

The doctors had advised me to start walking after the first three weeks, then i can start wearing normal shoes again! But we will see how it goes! I have another appointment in 6 weeks time!! So i will update you guys again!

If anyone would like any advise at all, i will try and help you as much as i can! And maybe if anyone could advise me on what to do about taking of the strip stitches, and the cleaning of the wounds, i would apprieciate that!!

(My doctor didnt reallly tell me anything, they were not my usual doctors today which was annoying..)

-Jasmine, UK-London smile

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

I had my feet operated on 13th October. I am having the stitches out, along with the grand unveiling (!) tomorrow. I have just had bandages, not a cast, although the area around my big toes is very hard, so there may be an element of cast material there. Not sure. I have been wearing these post op shoes which enable me to get around - it's like I'm walking on my heels - they're heavy and very Herman Munsteresque :-D. I have had no pain in my feet, but I don't know what tomorrow will bring once I've had the support removed (I'm assuming that I'll still have some form of support because my bones wouldn't have knitted properly in just 2weeks, would they?). I know I'll still have to wear these shoes for a further 4-6 weeks, until I see the surgeon again. I'm glad I've had both feet done at the same time. It's the inconvenience of it all, really - I want to be out and about, wearing my normal clothes (the thick bandages prevent me from getting my jeans on :-)!!). Every day is a day nearer to the end of it. I'll let you know how tomorrow goes..... x

• Posted

Hi

I get my bandage off tomorrow. Nervous and excited 🙈

Hope yours goes well today. Good luck 😊

• Posted

Hey there!!! Wow! Both feet at the same time! Very brave indeed! To begin with i had the bandages with some form of plaster, then after two weeks they take off the bandages and stitches and they should wrap your feet up in plaster for another four weeks, thats what happened to me... i had to also wear that shoe with the huge heel! I hated it! My ankle kept swelling up, and getting bruised!

Once my cast was off they gave me another shoe, but its without the heel! Instead of it looking like a sandal, it looks like a cross between a trainer and a ankle boot haha! Its very comfortable!

At the moment im experiencing quite a bit of pain now! Not a lot of movement in my big toe!

But i hope everything goes well tomorrow! Good luck!! I hope all the x-rays look GREATTTT!!!!!! :D do let us know smile

• Posted

It's actually today. Taxi picking me up in about 20 minutes. Feeling very nervous and I had a weird dream last night! My mind goes into overdrive, I think. I'm sure it'll be fine. Hopefully, in an hour, I should be back home and I'll let you know how it was for me :-). Til later.... x

• Posted

Well, I've just come back from having the stitches out. My feet are still a bit swollen but they're definitely slimmer. I've never had slim feet before...... They'll be fab once the swelling has gone down. I feel a bit unprotected and unsupported because I only have plasters - no bandages or anything. I still have to wear my Herman Munster boots and my feet feel lost in them :-). I can wear socks or tights now (yay!) and I'll be able to put my jeans on :-). I'm not in any pain, so I think it's a success all round. The actual procedure (having the stitches out) was a little uncomfortable because there were a couple of stubborn sutures which didn't want to come out, but it wasn't too bad. I've lived to tell the tale :-D. I don't have bunions anymore - result ;-)!! I hope that you as positive an experience...... Let me know how it went, please. x

• Posted

Hi everyone

Well came back from hospital a few hours ago.

So I am 16 days post op. Today the nurse took the old dressing off my foot and the the surgeon put a fresh one on. This time it was so nice to see the surgeon who had done the procedure. He also asked what I thought when it was all open. Obviously alot if swelling and bruising and a much longer scar with stitches than last time. They didn't take the ends of the stitches out or anything. I think they'll just dissolve later on. So he just redressed it again and said to keep it on for another 4 weeks then I can take off myself and start soaking my foot (which I can't wait to do😉winkand then in 6 weeks time I'll have an xray and see him again. I think it does look slimmer than before. A bit difficult to tell with bruising but hopefully on the right track this time 😊

• Posted

Hi there. I'm so glad that you feel quite happy

I've been home, probably, 6hours and I can see a difference already. Where I had thick bandaging separating my big toes from the others, there was a massive gap between them, almost like a v shape. The surgeon did tell me, when I was in the hospital after the operation, that the gap would close. Now I'm free of bandages I think that the gap has closed quite a lot already. They are looking amazing. I was chuffed this afternoon, even with the gap between the big toes and the rest, so I'm really happy. Still no pain (maybe my toes are still a bit numb) so I can't grumble at all. Like you, I can't wait to wash my feet but I just have to wait. I kept apologising to the nurse about my whiffy feet (whether they smell or not, I have no idea :-D) ; I imagine they must do a bit because they haven't seen soap and water for 15days now. A small sacrifice to make, I guess, for the best outcome. I have to go back in 7-10 days just for them to check that the scars are healing well, and after that I see the surgeon at the end of November. Hopefully, then, my Herman Munster boots and I can part company :-). So far, so good.

• Posted

Hey! Im soo glad to hear that everyones feet are doing soo well! And their surgeries went well, and healing is doing good!!

So far, for me its only been three days since getting the cast off... and for some reason my foot has never been in so much pain!

Maybe its normal, but i cant bend my big toe at all! It just wont move! Even if i try to move it with my hands, its very weird.. i dont even know if thats normal, i feel a little concerned, but i guess its still early days. Walking is becoming difficult now, i cant put no pressure on my foot, only on my heel. The stitches are healing nicely! I soaked my foot, but one out of three wounds opened, i think maybe i soaked it for too long.. i think i should have waited a couple days before soaking it... i think i would suggest that when it comes to cleaning your feet or foot, that use baby wipes or a damp flannel to begin with, then maybe in like two days give your foot a five min soak.. i dont know, my wound opened and now im scared that it might get infected...

But anyway i hope all is well with everyone!! And everyone is soo brave smile i would love to read all about your healing process! Everyone smile

Talk again soon

• Posted

I know what you mean about being frightened about infection. I feel the same. I'm not going to go near my feet until I've had another check-up in just over a week and they tell me that everything is fine. I suppose it (infection) could get in where the holes from the stitches are, so keeping the dressings on is imperative. I'm sure we're worrying unnecessarily and over-thinking things :-). You will be fine...

Keep us updated, please.

• Posted

Ah, thank you. I definitely think that the inconvenience now will certainly pay off :-). Take care. x
    • Posted

Hi jasmine

I remember when I had a double bunionectomy 2 years ago I thought the stitches on one foot had opened too but it hadn't. I think as long you dry it properly after it should be ok.

I also remember massaging the scars with oil really helped too x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.