Cast off!

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI GIRLS... After 7weeks and 4 days I'm no longer in a cast and it's heaven!! Had my clinic appointment this morning and consultant happy with everything. Now in a boot with LWB. All my fears are normal, and just to get the cast off so I could see how it was healing was great. No the plates have not pierced skin or moved as this is what's been going around in my head!! Thought I had a blister on my heel as it's been painful, but nothing. Was surprised to see that it's still bruised quite bad and still swallan, but all normal. Boot is very big and bulky, but good thing is..... I can take it off at night, but must put it on every time I need to get up. My skin is very very dry so lots of tender love and care with oil and creams. So far today I've been in ? wheelchair for first time in 4weeks, doing a little shopping. But still glad to get home to elevate and get some shut eye as it's shattered me out. Still a lot of aching and burning in my ankle and toes, but day one of the road to recovery. Nxt appt in 4 weeks. Consultant told me that the break was really bad and to prepare myself for hard work once physio starts!! So today girls.... I feel like there's a light at the end of the tunnel.... Let's hope it continues. Sx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Dear Sandra

Well done, what a relief for you. It's such a good feeling to feel that one is at last starting to move forward and is not in limbo land.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I had been reading your posts. I felt relieved on everything you posted. You're so optimistic. I don't know why I always think of the worst outcome. I had tibial fractures 3 months ago but no surgery. I'm still wearing a boot with 20% WB and I'm on therapy and it's helping a little bit with the stiffness. Hopefully I'll be on FWB in a week. I feel depressed sometimes. I think about limping after the rehab. Hopefully not. Sad thing is I just retired after 37 yrs as an RN and I want to go places but this happened while vacationing. Hope to hear from you Richard

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad that you see positive things in my posts. I always try to see the positives and look for answers but that does not mean that I find everything in life easy because I don't!

Having had this very unwelcome setback to my hip revision I cannot wait to get back on my feet again and finally start my recovery. All the time I have to face my delayed total ankle replacement on the other side but the longer the delay the less likely a good outcome can be expected.

I basically take it day at a time and try to stay positive but am having to cope with difficult emotional problems with my unwell partner who lives few doors away. She has

• Posted

As I was starting to explain, my partner lives a few days away and has tried to help but has had to pull out due to ill health. I've had to arrange for a local care at home firm to provide 3/4 hour a day help to bring the days food to my bedroom for me as I cannot use the stairs as I'm not allowed to weight bear at the moment.

All the best Richard

• Posted

Congratulations Sandra, it's such a relief to get rid of the cast isn't it? You're doing well, the physio is harsh at first but worth it. I'm now 6 months post badly broken fibula and although it feels still weird, I can more or less walk normally - something I thought I'd never do again at one point during those low days. The redness and swelling are now hugely reduced and walking doesn't cause the amount of swelling it used to.

You're absolutely right, there really is light at the end of the tunnel and you're getting there.

All the best.

Diane

• Posted

That's great news! Try to put your foot under the shower and all that dead skin should really loosen and fall off. Make sure to wiggle your toes when out of the boot and mAssage the foot gently, this really helps desensitize those nerves. Good luck with your wb.

Margie

• Posted

Thank you everyone. Day 4 out of cast and getting better every day. Fab being able to have hot shower all be it still sat on bath bench but being able to just sit Bd he the water run all over. Dry skin is nearly all cleared up. Boot does get a bit hot and uncomfortable after a while. I have quite a lot if aching if my foot has been out fir a long while, so do put it back on just for support. Wiggling toes and massaging foot as much as I can. Don't like the look of my calf 's ALL muscle had gone and just hangs there, so can't wait to get that built back up. Do get a few electric like shocks under foot when I'm weight bearing, which isn't nice, but don't last long. I had quite a few hrs dwn stairs yesterday where I did my son his and my lunch from the ? and get me great pleasure. Lol even enjoy Ed doing the washing up!! Now see light at the end of tunnel.... Sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.