Cast off

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi , I have just had my cast removed after 6 weeks, had plate and 7 screws,ankle fracture, now in a black boot it is like a when I had the surgery, painful especially at night is this normal and the heat in the boot, thank you 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes unfortunately. I tried everything I could think of to make my foot feel better in boot. I wore a compression sock and had a memory foam insert. A friend that had to wear one said you just have to get used to it and she was right. It was better in about 2 weeks although it still was uncomfortable. My doctor allowed me to take boot off to air it out and massage my foot , that really helped especially before bed which was the worst. When I started walking with boot I used a shoe leveler (Amazon) on my other foot. That was essential for me not to lose my balance and to save my hips and knees from hurting. 
    • Posted

The pain is worse when I take the boot at night, the bloke who took me cast of did say it will be like it was after surgery, didn't get much information of my doctor

• Posted

I'm right there along with you. Trimal fracture, plate and 7 screws. Cast on 6 weeks, in the boot for 2.5 weeks now.  i don't sleep in the boot though. I'm able to walk short distances in the boot without crutches, but now because of the pain am using at least one to keep some of the weight off my foot. I have more pain in my foot and shin than the actual ankle! A whole new level of suckyness. If you are feeling a ton of nerve-tingle pain, that will die down over the next week, likely. I'm thinking the new level of freedom made me overdo things physically, even though mentally I'm ready. This different type of pain has certainly caught me off guard. I haven't had heat issues with my boot, when you are sitting, can you open the boot and air things off? Sorry I may not have real answers, but I can certainly empathize. Are you doing PT? I start this week - interested to hear what they will have to say about my symptoms. Hang in there!

• Posted

Haven't started pt yet, 3 weeks in the boot then back at the hospital, my ankle joints hurt as well toes swollen, had the cast off on Wednesday so still early days, just feel like I'm going backwards

• Posted

Hi there...So sorry to hear about your pain, but at least now I don’t feel so alone. I broke my ankle 2 months ago and had surgery with plate also and screws on each side. I just got boot last week and, like you, able to walk short distances but I use a walker because I am just too unstable w crutches and so afraid of falling again. I have a high pain tolerance but this thing has really been the worst experience of my life even though I am determined to tough it out. I have been surprised, again like you, to have more pain in my foot than my ankle itself.  Even though I took a pain pill before I went to bed last night, it woke me up after midnight just throbbing in pain and swollen. I am allowed to take my boot off to sleep, which I had done...but I had a sock on. Even the sock was killing me and I had to get it off.  They told me to expect more pain and swelling now that I am weight bearing and walking in the boot, but I don’t think I’m over doing it, and I am really shocked at the level of pain again just as it was getting better. It is so hard not to be discouraged, and last night I just broke down and cried. Today I feel better again, and after seeing your post, I am glad to know that I’m not just being a big baby with this stupid thing. I wish you the BEST in your healing! ❤️
    • Posted

You aren't being a big baby, lol! This pain is real. I cried again too, yesterday, out of pain, frustration, and realizing this road is going to be longer than I thought. You are definitely not alone!

• Posted

Should be moving me ankle in anyway, just got told take take it off in bed and when resting not a to walk without no mention of exercise
    • Posted

I am feeling the exact same way. I am 3 weeks post op. Thankfully I haven't had to wear a cast and went straight to a boot but I am NWB for another 4 weeks and then the Dr wants to go back in and remove my screws and pins. The worst part is the tingling, burning, sharp pains in my foot. I'm pretty independent and I cry from the pain and feeling of utter helplessness. I broke my right ankle so I can't even drive and my husband works away from home. I have a daughter who is living here temporarily but she will be moving away in the next week or so. I'm sick and tired of sitting on this sofa and exhausted every time I try to get up and do anything. I think I have cried more in the last 5 weeks than I have my entire life combined. This really sucks and the nerve pain just makes it 100 times worse. I'm kinda glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels like this. 

• Posted

Hi there..

I had my cast off on the 20th of Feb after breaking my ankle and having 7 screws & a plate. I was straight away told o could put weight on it and walk. Being a little nervous & having muscle wastage they told me use a boot whn needed last week or so tho no boot needed can walk ok ish with my trainers on better than without shoes at all. Foot now swells when i walk and my heel aches. Laying down now as we speak to take the swelling down frm today. Do me days it swells more than others & hurts more than others. I'm also wondering how long swelling will take to settle.

I was shocked when the doc said you can walk straight on it, but they know what they are doing I suppose.

Can drive now aswell nt automatic but not so great on a manual yet.

Thanks fr reading guys any info would b awesome x

• Posted

Wow, good on you, I'm struggling on crutches and boot (rocker boot) this might sound horrible did any toes stick together I think with the dead skin?, I wouldn't be able to a shoe on at the moment, wish all the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.