cast off broken ankle and pain and stiffness

Posted , 27 users are following.

After 6 weeks in cast for broken ankle ( I fractured it in 3 places, tibia, bottom of fibula and tibia and dislocated, falling down stairs but no surgery) had cast off Monday and given an air boot to wear outside. Dr said not to wear inside and to try and move my foot etc as much as possible, but it is really painful and really stiff so can only move it a little forwards and backwards , and getting really panicky that I won't be able to walk again! I've been partial weight bearing (very slightly!) with boot on and crutches , I'm waiting for my physio appointment now, but really worried it shouldn't be this painful, stiff and swollen after 5 days.

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Julie,

I know exactly how you feel. I was just given the all clear to fully weight bear a week and a half ago after 13 weeks non weight bearing. I let out a cheer when the consultant told me to start to weight bear and that I can wear normal footwear.

Just today, I was able to do a few hobbling steps unaided but still need both my crutches to get around. But before today, I felt exactly the same as you, could not imagine ever walking again. It really does get to you. But it is these slight improvements that really make you feel better about recovering.

Physio sessions have been really helpful, and I'm sure you will feel better once you see these improvements.

All the very best in your recovery.

• Posted

Hi thanks, it's great to hear from others who have been through it and are on the road to recovery. Yes, I can't wait to start my physio (although I know it will be painful I know it will really help with my recovery) I think I'm restricted with how much movement I can do at the moment because it is still quite swollen making it really hard to move it about but I've heard this should ease off a little with time.  Today I felt really tired on my crutches , been away for weekend  and probably overdid it, arms and good leg get quite achy as I'm in a boot now and it just lightly rests on floor, not quite brave enough to put any more weight on it.  Good luck with your recovery too.
  • Posted

i have the same problem. i was told to start partial weight bearing after an orif ankle fracture surgery. we went to a PT center and im starting to have my therapy (w/o my doctor's knowledge because he never told me to consult one but since i dont know what to do i went to PT straight away). anyway, im on partial weight bear but without a boot on but big problem is same as yours since i am unable to bend my foot upwards so im like stiff walking a lot. so yeah, i also want to know how to get this stiffness to moving. 
    • Posted

Hi Beba85

I was given different info by 2 docs so am doing exercises given by physio thru work and my range of movement has definitely improved and on her advise I am concentrating on my gait and I've been massaging my ankle too. Every little seems to be helping. I contacted the ortho clinic last week who confirmed that I should've been referred for physio thru them so awaiting an appointment for that. It felt some days that it was never getting better but I can see light at the end of the tunnel now and it's because of the physio. Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

hi bailey12. thank you so much for this reply. guess, i would be breaking the news to my my doc next appointment that i went to physio without him referring me to one. Somehow, yes. Physio gave me a good deal of progress and im not regretting going there by instinct. My physio told me that im having a fast progress that maybe I'd be able to walk properly earlier than expected and this makes me so happy. biggrin Thank you and good luck also with your recovery. We can go through this! biggrin
    • Posted

Hi Beba85,  Yes it's a pain isn't it when your foot won't bend the right way. I'm finding it really difficult at the moment, I'm 8 weeks+ now since breaking it and starting to worry a bit as I don't seem to be getting anymore movement in it. Partial weight still and on crutches. Can't weight to see physio on Thursday for 1st time. I've tried what you're doing without the boot as well,  with foot just literally skimming floor since its so stiff and painful still it's not bending enough to try and partial weight bear
    • Posted

Hey julie44793,

Guess what? it got better after a few days. It does hurt a lot at first but as time goes by, my foot got used to it and started gaining some motion. I try to imagine how i used to walk before where it takes some bending of my ankle and bending it until it's bearable enough. Though it hurts, i had to endure because it takes getting my ankle getting used to and gaining back the strength of the muscles around it. Im walking with crutches and on sandals, i did a lot of walking since most most rooms in school are in different locations. Im already on my 25% partial weight bear after 1 week of 10% weight bear. The pain is bearable now. All it took me was enduring it and doing my exercises religiously. Im hoping you'd get to the point to where i am now. We can do this! biggrin)

• Posted

Hi Beba85, that's great that you're improving, suppose it's just getting through the pain barrier as well, (I'm bit of a wimp!!) Went to physio yesterday and she said the movement I have was ok and to try and FWB on crutches around the house , she said everything healed ok so it's just a matter of getting past the fear of walking on it again (easier said than done!) Yes! - we can do this!!🙌
    • Posted

Hello julie44793,

I know how that is! I'm 27 and broke my ankle ( lateral malleolar) 4 weeks ago. I was just walking and I slipped . Heard a PLOOP and that was all. They put a splint and after 10 days a cast. Although it was a bit dislocated I did not needed surgery. It has been a terrible horrible nightmare since then and I can't just wait until all of this is over!

Went to the dr. On thursday and he told me to start walking on the cast. That was a big.. WHAT!?? Because my boone is not fully healed yet as the x rays showed, but he insisted that I needed to start walking on the cast. I was and still am terrified that my boone breaks even more! But Dr. Said that he was sure and I needed to walk. In two weeks he said he will take crutches away.

I have tried to walk with crutched bearly putting some weight on the bad foot and although it does not hurt a whooole lot.. It feels stiff and I feel how my heel starts to burn. I don't know if I will be able to to that everytime.

Im so glad to know that there are other people out there who have been there!! I know that family and friends say they understand and try to be there but sometimes I feel braver than others.

• Posted

Hi.

THe stiffness is normal and the swelling. You are male, young and didn't need an op. I would think your surgeon knows best. Only put as much weight on your foot as you can bare. Remember it's been immobile so it won't be as it once was just yet. You can always get another opinion from a doctor if you like.

I was at the worse end of ankle breaks and needed plates and screws in 3 bones due to having found out I have a bone disease as well. I'm nearly 60 and female with small bones. Taking all this into account, I wasn't fully walking without aid until 5 MONTHS post op. I really think given your age, no op and you're male ( larger bones) you will be quick to heal. I really believe this. Let me know if I'm right. Its a gut thing I have with you. 🙂

• Posted

Hi Again.

Looks like you are female according to your name haha. I still think you will be good and sorry for some reason I thought you were male. Haha silly me 🙃

• Posted

Lol!! Yes I am a female😄😆

It's ok!!! wink .. And yes! God willing this will end soon! Wow! So you did need surgery. 😖

Yes I know, it is horrible not to be yourself and to be able To function 100%. I guess we just need to have lotsssssss and lotsssss of patience, as this too shall pass.

I have tried to take it easy and yes, walk a little and rest when my foot starts complaining. One day at the time.

I also hope you get better soon! 😊

• Posted

Hi,  I know exactly what you're going through (broke mine 6 months ago) YES you need lots of patience!!  I can't believe you've been told to start walking on it, in the cast after only 4 weeks , I was non weight bearing for well over 7-8 weeks! Mine is nearly back to 'normal' now. I've been back at work for a while now , driving,  just started power walking with my daughter Although I did limp back home the other day from overdoing it! and when I 've been sat down it is a little stiff until I get going again ! Also it does ache and swell a little still in the evening.  It is scary when you first start walking on it but you will get there (I'm a pessimist and didn't think I would ever walk properly again!!) It is a really slow recovery process and the consultant told me about a year or so before it's 'normal' and even then he said I would probably only have about 80% movement back in it.
    • Posted

hi, you have probably been told to walk on it because of your age etc(im 49 so recovery much slower!😂) Good luck with your recovery😊
  • Posted

Hi everyone, I'm female age 32.....I fell and broken my ankle in 3 places both sides and the back and also the main leg bone at the back of your leg but at the bottom near ankle, I was told I would need an operation but luckily due to going hospital has soon has it happened and the nurses relining the bones I didn't end up having the operation (thank God!!( I had a soft type cast on for 2 weeks then needed the normal cast on with no weight baring at all for another 5 weeks this time is coming to the end and I just wanted to know what ppl think the next step will be has I'm a single mum of 3 and I'm finding it so hard to look after kiddies house and myself xxx xx thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.