cast off broken ankle and pain and stiffness

Posted , 27 users are following.

After 6 weeks in cast for broken ankle ( I fractured it in 3 places, tibia, bottom of fibula and tibia and dislocated, falling down stairs but no surgery) had cast off Monday and given an air boot to wear outside. Dr said not to wear inside and to try and move my foot etc as much as possible, but it is really painful and really stiff so can only move it a little forwards and backwards , and getting really panicky that I won't be able to walk again! I've been partial weight bearing (very slightly!) with boot on and crutches , I'm waiting for my physio appointment now, but really worried it shouldn't be this painful, stiff and swollen after 5 days.

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i fractured the ankle the first time 2 years ago, i have been 5 weeks in cast and 4 weeks in boot. when the boot was removed the foot was swollen and painful and impossible to walk on.

then the ligament reconstruction surgery was performed and i spent 8 more weeks in the boot, the ankle was still painful and unstable but i overdid and caused stress fractures to my calcaneus so another 6 weeks in the boot.

recently i badly re-fractured the ankle and now i'm in the full leg plaster for at least 10 weeks.

i learned from experience that the sharp acute pain similar to the one after the injury is a sign that you are overdoing and that something is not ready to walk. when pain is unbearable stop wb.

• Posted

I am so sorry you are facing such challenges Oscar. I have only had 6 weeks of dealing with the loss of independence and mobility and it is incredibly frustrating. I can’t imagine how you must be feeling with the setbacks you have had. I hope you have a good support network to help you . 

• Posted

yes luckly everyone has been helpful.

definitively the lack of autonomy has been the worst lesson learned. luckly i learned to use crutches and now the swelling is less unconfortable.

with the original injury i probably overdid because crutched too much and my leg started to hurt.

now this long plaster is very stable and my ankle feels really ok in it, this is a good sensation and makes everything easier.

• Posted

I had a standing XRay today where I had to get up steps to  a platform after 7 weeks of non weightbearing! Had to put some weight on my foot in the boot to get up there before taking it off for the X-rays and I seemed to go okay standing and putting weight on it. Hoping it won’t be sore later.  I am hoping to be given the go ahead to drive tomorrow at my 7 week post op appointment and to start walking.  I am not going to rush it though. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.